News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Balancing Cadillac Wire Wheels?

Started by RobW, August 17, 2015, 07:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobW

So far I've to 3 different tire shops trying to get my wheels balanced. Each one has a different excuse. These are 80's RWD Fleetwood wire wheels. The first shop told me they need to be balanced by mounting them on the machine with an adapter that uses the lug nuts, not thru the center cone. OK. They didn't have that and suggested I look for a hunter Road Force balancer, GSP 7900? I think.
Anyway, search Hunter's site and get the address of 2 other shops. Next one tells me they can't balance my wheels because the center cone is plastic and when they tightened it down on the machine the plastic will shatter! Really?! I asked him if he thought a 4900 # car was being held up by plastic wheels? Then his boss who was at least 10-15 yrs younger than me tells me that "back in the day" they used to balance these wheels by floating them in water! Really?! You think a 50 # tire on a steel wheel is going to float? No we can't do it.
OK, third shop tells me they don't know what brand their machine is but it can't do those wheels.
Talk about frustration! What's the big deal? Back in the 80's every other Caddy had these and everyone balanced them on regular machines.
So what's everyone doing now? I get a vibration at 55-60 mph. It's OK slower and mostly clears up after say 70-75 mph. Front end seems OK.
Rob Wirsing

wbdeford

Call the local Cadillac dealer(s)? 
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

RobW

yeah that's another thing. any that were around then didn't survive the gm restructuring and the new ones well...maybe
Rob Wirsing

TJ Hopland

A tire on a rim will float but I never heard of that being a method of balancing. 

Seems odd that you are having so much trouble.   I would think now days it would be easier since there are many flavors of wheels out there now with little to no center hole.    I would think center hole was how most machines worked back in their day so I would think center hole would not be a problem.   With all the expensive and custom aluminum wheels out there these days I can't really see them being afraid of those.    I remember one of the caps getting broken by a tire shop on my 83 and that is when I found out that they were not factory wheels because the replacement cap I got from the dealer didn't fit.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

I had these wheels in 1985 and they were never balanced but never needed to be either.  One time I drove the car past 100mph and it was smooth as glass.  I did not really see a way they could ever be balanced.  A few years ago had same wheels and they were out of balance.  Did not attempt to balance them.  Use standard stainless spun hub caps and then at shows pop on the wire wheels.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

RobW

IDK. the last shop was telling me they can't do alignments on cars like mine with a lip at the edge of the rim because the new wheels don't have a lip and the new machines aren't made to hook on the lip like the old machines. sometimes I wonder if they even know the capabilities of their equipment or if they bothered to learn. maybe they just don't buy some adapters?
Rob Wirsing

RobW

Scot
what makes you say you couldn't see away to balance them?
Rob Wirsing

Glen

Anybody use one of these wheel balancers?  I have an older version of this I inherited from my father.  I’ve never used it myself. 

This may be a way to get a wheel close if not perfect. 

http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-wheel-balancer-39741.html
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

bullet bob

Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

RobW

Rob Wirsing

walt chomosh #23510

Rob,
  I run laced wheels on my 1955CDV from Mac Daddy in Ca. and I had a heck of a time balancing them until I finally got them balanced of the lugs.(most balancers balance off the hub) My wheels are now very smoothe....walt....tulsa,ok

RobW

Walt
that's what I've been looking for. The Hunter GSP9700 Road Force balancer can balance from the lugs if the shop has the adapter. It seems most don't. It also has a roller to simulate road conact and then adjust balance for directional forces.
Rob Wirsing

mauro

Quote from: RobW on August 17, 2015, 07:15:28 PM
So far I've to 3 different tire shops trying to get my wheels balanced. Each one has a different excuse. These are 80's RWD Fleetwood wire wheels. The first shop told me they need to be balanced by mounting them on the machine with an adapter that uses the lug nuts, not thru the center cone. OK. They didn't have that and suggested I look for a hunter Road Force balancer, GSP 7900? I think.
Anyway, search Hunter's site and get the address of 2 other shops. Next one tells me they can't balance my wheels because the center cone is plastic and when they tightened it down on the machine the plastic will shatter! Really?! I asked him if he thought a 4900 # car was being held up by plastic wheels? Then his boss who was at least 10-15 yrs younger than me tells me that "back in the day" they used to balance these wheels by floating them in water! Really?! You think a 50 # tire on a steel wheel is going to float? No we can't do it.
OK, third shop tells me they don't know what brand their machine is but it can't do those wheels.
Talk about frustration! What's the big deal? Back in the 80's every other Caddy had these and everyone balanced them on regular machines.
So what's everyone doing now? I get a vibration at 55-60 mph. It's OK slower and mostly clears up after say 70-75 mph. Front end seems OK.
not trying to hi-jack your thread, I think I have the same wheel's and was wondering if you know the part number for those wheel's and what they fit, I picked up a set that are supposed to fit a '79 Seville, RWD and DISC Brakes on all 4 corners,just after getting them a medical situation has prevented me from going further, thanks for any info, good luck.  :)      mauro
i live my life like a dog, i smell it, if i can't eat it or screw it, i just pee on it and walk away

RobW

I don't know the part numbers but they are RWD Fleetwood Brougham wire wheels. They came from an 89 Brougham but they were the same from the early 80's until 92. I always thought  Seville 76-79 were different?
Rob Wirsing

mauro

Quote from: RobW on August 19, 2015, 08:08:52 PM
I don't know the part numbers but they are RWD Fleetwood Brougham wire wheels. They came from an 89 Brougham but they were the same from the early 80's until 92. I always thought  Seville 76-79 were different?
thank's for the reply, I guess I'm just gonna have to have someone come over and put on car to see if they work, I was told they would,but we all know how that work's, thanks, by the way,they are marked as follows,
                           15x6     6202    2       18   84
                            JJTB      made in usa
   thank's and good luck                                    MAURO

finally got some pic's, if these are what you have  http://gundoschaferliesel.imgur.com/all/
i live my life like a dog, i smell it, if i can't eat it or screw it, i just pee on it and walk away

bullet bob

Guys, I'm telling ya, you're going to like these dyna-beads once you've used them. Got a chunk of dried mud on the inner part  of your rim? Doesn't matter. Tires worn after awhile? They're always re balancing. http://www.innovativebalancing.com/ Not associated with them whatsoever. BB
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"