News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

49 rear bearing replacement

Started by Joe V, August 18, 2015, 10:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe V

I have a bad rear bearing. Shop manual shows that replacement is pretty much straight forward but thought I would check in for any tips or advice on removal, oil seal replacement, bearing removal, and new bearing installation.

I expect to send to a machine shop for removal and pressing new bearing after I remove the axle as I have done with other cars in the past. Necessary?

savemy67

Hello Joe,

Over time, the personnel at shops may change.  The old guy who actually handled '49 era cars may have retired.  It is a good thing if you trust your shop, but in case the old timer has retired, consider photocopying the appropriate section of the shop manual and giving it to your shop so the shop knows the correct procedure for your car.

I bought a press when I did the rear wheel bearings on my '67 Sedan DeVille.  If I paid a shop, I would have spent more than half of what the press cost, so I bought the press.  Doing it myself also allowed me time to sandblast and paint the retainer which, if I had a shop remove and replace the bearings, would have necessitated twice as many trips to the shop, and probably additional cost.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Joe V

Great point Christopher.  I'm not opposed to, and would rather, do it myself.  I usually like the idea of buying a tool when I have the need and this seems like a good opportunity. 

Jay Friedman

Joe,

Whether you press on the bearing yourself or have it done professionally, I would advise the following:

1. Make sure your or the pro knows how to press on a rear axle bearing.  Formerly, almost any auto parts store or auto machine shop could do this, but now with most cars being front wheel drive relatively few still do.  One danger is that you can inadvertantly score the surface the seal rides on, ruining the axle as scoring will ruin any seal you install.  Personally, I would let a pro do this, as it's a bit tricky with the sleeve having to be installed too;

2. It's always a good idea to replace the seal.  Pry out the old one with either a seal puller or you can use the axle itself as a pry bar.  Buy a new seal from Olcar Bearing Company, Southern Pines NC, a firm many CLC members have used satisfactorily, though others sell it too.  Drive in the new bearing with a large socket.  Before re-installing the axle, coat the new seal with a film of grease to protect it from the axle as you slide it in.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."