News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Repair of 1970 DeVille trunk lock cover

Started by jwjohnson86, August 19, 2015, 03:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwjohnson86

My 1970 DeVille convertible has the trunk lock bezel intact and installed but no sliding lock cover.  Good news, I just found the sliding bezel cover in a big box of miscellaneous parts I received from the seller.  It appears that the back of the cover has a cam with what looks like a hook where a spring would attach.  Is this correct or is the cam broken?  If this is intact, any suggestions or leads on a replacement spring would be welcome.

Thanks,
Jason Johnson
CLC # 29583
1970 DeVille Convertible 472 cid

http://bit.ly/1NhHpdt

Scot Minesinger

Jason,

I have definitely replaced those before, and you almost have to have the original mechanism in place to see how it goes together.  You need a friend who has 70 that is willing to take his apart with you.  I might have one, but need the spring.

Suggest you call Honest John, Cadillacs Only, or Cadillac King and ask them to buy the worst looking, but functional 1970 trunk lock bezel complete, that they would never be able to sell due to cosmetics.  Tell them you just want the spring/cam mechanism,  but understand it must be sold as a set.  You want the hole thing though.  Unfortunately 1970 is a one year only trunk lock cover.  If you try and buy just the spring you risk it being the wrong one, or not be able to figure it out.  Then you can always sell it without spring on e-bay - someone will buy it.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

chrisntam

As timely as ever, eBay comes through for you........except for the price.....geez..........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-70-CADILLAC-DEVILLE-COUPE-SEDAN-CONVERTIBLE-TRUNKLID-LOCK-TRIM-EMBLEM-CREST-/221858173156?hash=item33a7c710e4&vxp=mtr

Maybe you can at least look at the pics to see how it works............
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

jwjohnson86

Thanks for the suggestions!  From the ebay photos it looks like a circular spring with a cotter pin through the center to hold it in place.  Probably difficult to rebuild unless I can dissect a working example so I'll probably have to look for a replacement.  Sadly my crest is fully enameled with great color, way better than the ebay listing.
1970 DeVille Convertible 472 cid

http://bit.ly/1NhHpdt

Scot Minesinger

As I remember the spring does not have a cotter pin, but I think you get the idea, will have to buy one that is cosmetically flawed to get a decent price.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

mikanystrom

Sorry for responding to such an old post, but did you ever figure this out?  You wouldn't happen to have photos or drawings of what goes on inside the trunk lock cover?

I have exactly the same problem.  The crest came off in my hand a few weeks ago, at first I thought I needed to replace the whole cover.  There is a NOS on eBay for $620 right now!!!!!

But on closer inspection it looks like the spring has broken or somehow else failed, the cover is intact.  I just need to figure out how to get  a new spring and assemble the whole thing, but what do I do?  It seems if you do it wrong, you will risk losing the cover, which is the last thing I want.

(In case anyone is wondering, yes this is a 1970 De Ville (also Convertible in my case) so it's the one-year-only/De Ville&Calais  giant crest version of the trunk lock cover.)
1970 De Ville Convertible
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Series 75 Formal Sedan
1968 Eldorado "Purple Sister"
------------------------------------------------
1976 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 455 4-spd
1999 Camaro SS Convertible 6-spd
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX :-)

cadillacmike68

1971 DeVille / Calais also had the giant crest with no V but I'm not sure if the angle of the dangle on the trunk is the same for those two years.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Matti R

71 Eldo trunk lock looks like this from behind. Not sure if 70 is similar.
Best regards,
Matti
CLC #33333
67 DeVille convertible Sudan beige
79 Seville
64 Sedan DeVille
66 Calais Coupe

cadillacmike68

The 1970-71 ElDorados have physically smaller trunk lock covers than the RWD DeVilles and Calais of those two years. They will not interchange.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike