News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

40's installation of window channels and fuzzies (Tacoma Wa area)

Started by gary griffin, August 21, 2015, 10:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

As I approach the completion of my restoration I find more and more difficulties.

I am attempting to install the guide channels for the windows of my 1942-6719, and the ones I purchased look like they are supposed to bent to fit the radius of the window openings in the doors. They buckle before I can get them that far. Also there are small clips and I can not figure out how to make them work?

I also need a few pointers about installing the "Fuzzies" or as we used to call them cats whiskers?

If anybody near me has any knowledge of these I would really appreciate a few hands on pointers. Proper consideration (compensation ?) is available.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Steve Passmore

Perhaps you have the wrong type of channel Gary?  The correct type usually bends around the shapes. Just done all the channels and  'Fuzzies' on my 41, not easy as they were originally stapled on, must have been some stapler. I removed the old staples, bent up welding wire and used that instead. With these you have to remove stoke from the back edge to get them to curl up each end of the window moldings.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Paul Phillips

Gary
There are a couple different types of bendable run channel out there. The common one, sold by Steele & others, is not very happy making the tight radius needed for 40's Cadillacs.  This one has a fabric- like backing on the side you push into the frame.  The one I found that works better has a rubberized backing.  I bought it from a local guy who is a custom auto glass installer.

Even the better stuff can be fussy.  You need to make sure the ends of the chrome beads are cleanly cut with a cutoff disc, not chopped with wire cutters. The wire inside the bead needs to be able to freely slide when you bend the channel.  I have found it useful to do the initial bending for a corner over the glass itself.  This keeps the fuzzy lining better in place during the process.  I also have found it helpful to have a pipe, can, or similar that approximates the ID of the bend to use as a form to better shape the channel.

I am not sure about the clips you mentioned.  It is typical to find small, like 6-32 x 1/4 flathead screws holding the channel at certain places.  Also common to have pointed tabs in the frame that are bent out to pierce the channel and are then bent over to secure it.

Hope this all makes sense! Let me know if I need to explain something better.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

Steve,

I would really like to see that stapler also.  It was also used to staple the rubber between the front fenders and the frame.  It looks like it pierced the metal with the staple and then bent it over.  RS&S sells the staples.  I have found it best to drill out all of the original holes slightly then install the new staples and bent them over by hand.  This works good for the rubber discussed above.  For the channel substitute either small screws or pop rivets for the clips or staples.  Whichever looks like it works the best and is hidden.  Both will bury themselves in the channel or "Fuzzies".  As Paul mentioned it is absolutely necessary that the SS bead on the channel be free to move as the channel is bent.  Same for the SS bead on the "Fuzzies" if the design has bends in it.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Steve Passmore

I'm pretty sure Brad it was a very high powered stapler at the factory that punched the holes and bent them over in one just like an ordinary paper staple but man enough to take on metal. I once had a Pneumatic  pin gun that would drive thin pins of the same size though thin metal but sadly not staples so it must have been something similar.

Yes, I did similar on my splash aprons but the Fussies are another matter because you can't get behind them to bend the staples over.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

harry s

I recently finished doing the window channels and fuzzie weather stripping on my '41 67 series. I was fortunate enough to have the old ones to use as a pattern. As previously mentioned it is definitely a tedious process. I tried the channel clips mentioned by Paul for the window channel and was not able to get them to fasten tight enough. I ended up using small black pop rivet which as Brad mentioned bury themselves in the material. I used a forrester bit the size of the rivet head to open the material enough for the head to disappear. The hardest part of the job was forming the rear quarter window fuzzie weather strip on the inside and outside. I ended up making a template from plywood which worked pretty well and kept the strips from kinking or rolling. Gary, if you need these templates I will send them to you. Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Gary, there is a shop in Tacoma called Auto Specialties that you will want to visit.

Auto Specialty inc
5816 S Tacoma Way, Tacoma, WA 98409
(253) 475-2545

I purchased the rubber backed window channel Paul mentions and it worked well.  My 39-5019 required 2 types of channel.

Bending the channel can be a little difficult, but patience pays off.  Just work the material slowly.  The way that I accomplished it was to carefully take the old channel out making sure not to bend it.  Once the old piece was out, I bent the new piece into the correct shape.

The cat whisker takes a series of stainless staples.  If you carefully remove the old staples,you can feed the new ones through the same holes.  Brad had a good idea on drilling the holes out slightly.  I'm just not that smart.  ;) If you make the drive to Tacoma to pick up the channel send me an email, I am pretty sure I have the stainless staples you can have.
David Schumacher
1939 Lasalle 5019

gary griffin

Thanks David, unfortunately I did not have the foresight to take the old channels out prior to sending the car to the paint shop. Like a lot of things I have learned I will do better next time if there is a next time. I thought I took a lot of pictures but now there are areas I wish I had more pictures of as I reassemble the car. I am nearing the end of a 4 year restoration and all of my mistakes are rapidly catching up with me. Lots of fun though and the end is in sight!!
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver