News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1972 Eldordo overheating, yes same car

Started by Scot Minesinger, August 15, 2015, 02:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

The '72's are supposed to have a Coolant Recovery Tank.

BUT, one has to have the correct cap for this feature to work.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

The recovery tank is there and it definitely works with correct plastic cap on recovery tank.  The radiator cap that came with the car leaked after a short run between rubber seal and radiator neck seat.  When installed perceived better radiator cap, leak stopped.

The heads were rebuilt because they had to be removed and car had 80k miles.  They were not rebuilt because they were having problems.  When I got the car, radiator was slightly split at top (not from freezing)- you could drive it, not an uncommon failure from what I have seen.  The car never had significant use after the valve job was completed.

Everything is as it should be, have repaired several cooling systems with this overflow tank system with good success.  My 1970's are all set up same way.

Let's see what the test yields later in the week.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Scot Minesinger

Head gaskets are good.  Tested the radiator with the blue fluid that turns yellow if exhaust/combustion gases are going thru it.  While doing so the water pump discharge hose into radiator never got any pressure, and the vacuum collapsed it, so thinking thermostat is stuck closed.  The heat riser on snorkel is set to draw in air not across exhaust manifold ever - disabled that quick warm up feature.  There is no exhaust heat riser (maybe it came with car but it is not there before I got it).  No coolant leaks, car runs fine.  The radiator cap has a 16 psi relief which corresponds to about 260'F, and that is how the coolant escaped last time.  Here is my plan:

1.  Replace thermostat with one that fails open.
2.  Remove baffle between radiator and condenser, as this was abandoned later in 72 and the car will run cooler without it.
3.  Add temperature, oil press and volt gauges.

Will report back after this is finished.

Thanks,

Scot

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

You've got us in suspense Scott, how is the "Minesinger memorial Eldo" coming?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

I have the gauge set purchased, so will be installing all this work on 72 Eldorado starting Monday.  Finishing up a 1982 Fleetwood coupe (need to install window sweeps on outside so rain does not pour into door cavity).

bill06447

You should have coolant boiling out the overflow reservoir long before a hose bursts. Gut feeling is wrong/defective cap; I'd start there.

Bill

bcroe

Quote from: Glen on August 17, 2015, 01:54:40 AM
Do you have a coolant recovery tank?  What I hear is that when the radiator “spits” the coolant goes out on the ground not into a recovery tank.  If you don’t have a coolant recovery tank then you have to leave a little air in the top of the radiator.  Just let it cycle as you drive the car a few times and it will reach equilibrium.   Just be sure it does not continue spitting.

I put coolant recovery tanks on my 60s cars and was very glad I did.  Parked a very hot day by
Boulder dam, and my 68 filled that tank right up; but NO COOLANT LOST.  Lets the radiator be
filled 100%.  Don't know about a 72.  However, this probably isn't the cause of the problem. 
Bruce Roe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
Did a hose actually rupture, or did it just come loose at the motor, and which hose was it?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

The person who saw it overheat said that it was a hose, but it was not.  The relief on the radiator cap must have been triggered (set at 15 psig), which corresponds to about 260'F.  Since then I have driven the car after topping off coolant and it is fine.  That is why I am going to get the temp gauge and repeat the overheat situation again and will find out what is going on.