News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

my 1939 cadillac (wells Gardner Radio)

Started by cadman-39, August 23, 2015, 06:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadman-39

Dose anyone know what is the correct fuse for the Wells Gardner radio that is in my 1939 Cadillac? Need the correct number and amperage of the fuse. I had the radio rebuilt and I installed it about 5 years ago but never tried it. Thought today might be a good day but I never figured out what fuse to use.
Thanks to all
Myren

cadman-39

And can anyone tell me the correct pressure for the radiator cap in the 39-6119?
Thanks

Steve Passmore

Quote from: cadman-39 on August 24, 2015, 01:50:57 PM
And can anyone tell me the correct pressure for the radiator cap in the 39-6119?
Thanks

7lbs according to my manual.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Tom Beaver

I don't have any information on the Wells Gardner radio but the wiring diagram for the Cadillac United Motors radio lists a current draw of 6.5 amps at 6.3 V.  The Wells Gardner should be comparable.  I have a 10 amp fuse in the radio circuit on my 38.

By the way, when you get the radio working don't try and start the car with the radio on, it will fry the vibrator.  Been there done that.

Tom Beaver

cadman-39

Tom,
Thanks for the reply on the radio. I'll get a fuse tonight and try it out. Really don't know if the antenna is any good. I might buy the under running board antenna from Bruce Berghoff if I think it needs. I had the radio rebuilt by Berry Dalton of the antique radio Doc so the radio should be OK.
Myren

cadman-39

OK now the radio works, but only if I hold onto the antenna. I need to trim or adjust the antenna to the radio. Where is the trim pot located? There is a adjuster of some kind on the bottom of the radio but I don't want to move it until I identify if its what needs to be moved. There are 2 holes next to where the antenna plugs into the radio but I can't see well enough to see if there is a pot or adjuster in either hole. Can anyone help with this?
Thanks
Myren

Tom Beaver

Myren,  I have no experience with a Wells-Gardner radio so I can't specifically answer your question.  However, there should be a hole in the case which allows access to the antenna trim condenser.  It shouldn't be right next to the antenna plug-in because of real estate issues on the back side.  On the United Motors radio it is on the side of the case approximately 1 1/2 inches below the plug-in.  You really need to talk to Berry Dalton and have him send you a schematic drawing with something that shows where the trim condenser is.  You can also do a search on the internet for wells-gardner car radio schematics which will show radio repair shops which will sell schematics for not much money.  If your radio happens to be a model 062 you can look here "http://www.rfcafe.com/references/radio-craft/wells-gardner-062-superheterodyne-october-1932-radio-craft.htm" for a description on where the trim condenser is and how to adjust it.

Tom Beaver