News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

78 Eldorado New Brakes

Started by waterzap, August 24, 2015, 01:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

So replaced all the brake lines, hoses, calipers, rotors, and also the distribution valve (MC was done last year).
Had some leaks in the beginning, but its all fixed now after making sure everything is tight. And since I am still here, after a weekend of driving, it does work. Much better than before. Keeping my eye on the brake fluid level in the coming weeks to make sure all is good.

I used the copper alloy brake lines after the pre bent ones didn’t fit. I can definitely recommend the copper alloy ones. They are easy to work with, looks nice, and will never rust. If I didn’t try messing around with the pre bent lines, I would have been done much earlier.

However now I have a problem. The rear brake calipers had springs for the e brake cables. But in my stupidity I threw them in the recycling. And of course now the e brakes don’t work. Any idea where I can get new springs?. Prob better anyway as the old ones were probably stretched.
Also where to get a new e brake cable set? I doubt the ones on rock auto will work
Leesburg, AL

Gene Beaird

Nice work, Waldo!  We're also doing the brakes on our race car (replacing the factory iron parts with some much lighter aluminum and lightened steel and titanium).  I spent about a half-hour trying to get the pressure bleeder reservoir to hold air pressure to no avail, so I packed that project in for now.  Very frustrating, because it's supposed to be something that will save so much time.  I grabbed another bug sprayer at the hardware store, and will try to replace the kit reservoir with it. 

On the Cadillac side of things, I hopped in our 68 Calais to move it the other day, and felt that familiar 'hold then drop' with the brake pedal.  Looks like I have a failing master cylinder.  Haven't had a chance to look at things in detail yet.  Sad, because that MC is only about 2 years old.   >:(
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873