News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac Dealerships in California During the 1940's

Started by zogman66, August 26, 2015, 12:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zogman66

I understand that Don Lee was the premier seller of Cadillac-LaSalle's in both Northern and Southern California. The main hubs were in San Francisco and Los Angeles. I am very interested in knowing what other dealerships in Northern California were doing business during the 40's. Did Don Lee own these other dealerships or were they independently owned?

Tim Herzog

Big Apple Caddy

Attached is a short article from June 1948 regarding Cadillac taking over the San Francisco, Oakland and Los Angeles interests of Don Lee Inc.  It mentions that Lee's dealerships in Burlingame, San Diego and North Hollywood would continue to operate.

jsanford

J J Jacobs was the Cadillac dealer in Sacramento from the 1930s through 60s.
H.W. Shepard went on to be a Cadillac dealer in the SF Bay area with dealerships in Berkeley and Palo Alto.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Sacramento, CA
1980 Seville
1981 Eldorado
2016 ELR

Rob Troxel

Chris Conklin

There was Thomas Cadillac in Los Angeles, Casa de Cadillac is still here in the valley.
Chris Conklin

jagbuxx #12944

I believe Thomas Cadillac started in Los Angeles about 1965/66. They were in San Pedro prior I believe.
Symes Cadillac in Pasadena may have started in the late '40's.
Dealer guru Tom Hall may chime in..
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

jsanford

George Paddleford Olds cadillac in Palo Alto.
St. Claire Cadillac Olds in Santa Clara/San Jose.
Talmadge "Babe" Wood Pontiac Cadillac in Santa Rosa.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Sacramento, CA
1980 Seville
1981 Eldorado
2016 ELR

zogman66

Any idea when dealerships started to make license plate frames with their names on them? Since the frames from 1940 to 1955 are very unique  in size and in appearance in California,  (rounded corners) is it possible that Cadillac did make adjustable frames for cars of these years just for California?

Tim H.

srk1941

I have a 1940s dealer license plate frame with "Cadillac Corner" in Vincennes Red. It was in Oakland.
Steven Keylon
1941 Cadillac Convertible Coupe
CLC# 16658

bongo7777

Quote from: zogman66 on August 26, 2015, 12:11:33 PM
I understand that Don Lee was the premier seller of Cadillac-LaSalle's in both Northern and Southern California. The main hubs were in San Francisco and Los Angeles. I am very interested in knowing what other dealerships in Northern California were doing business during the 40's. Did Don Lee own these other dealerships or were they independently owned?

Tim Herzog

Our 1942 62 Series Club Coupe was ordered by Don Lee Inc. San Francisco and shipped to Grissom Motor Co in Salinas.
I can't find much about either of these dealers. 
Graham.
Melbourne, Australia.
Graham Waddingham.
1941 Cadillac Sedanette, 1942 Sedanette, 1955 Fleetwood, 1955 Meteor Hearse,
1956 Sedan DeVille, 1956 Fleetwood 75, 1956 Eldorado,
1957 Fleetwood, 1957 Eldorado, 1958 Fleetwood 75 series, 1959 75 Limousine, 1960 Flat Top, 1960 Limousine, 1960 Fleetwood, 1960 convertible. 1953 Cadillac 75 Imperial Derham, 1949 Cadillac Imperial,

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Tom Hall 7485

Mr. Herzog, during 1940-1948, Don Lee, Inc. was Cadillac Division's customer and had responsibility for all of California.  Don Lee, Inc. held both the northern California and southern California territories as two separate distributorships run by the same company.  As you say, the hubs were San Francisco and Los Angeles, respectively. 

Don Lee, Inc. had the power to nominate new Cadillac retailers in those territories, including themselves, subject to GM's approval. 

There were maybe 27 authorized Cadillac dealers in Don Lee, Inc.'s northern California territory during the 1940s.  The great majority of them were not owned by Don Lee, Inc., but they were supplied new cars and new parts by Don Lee, Inc.  Cadillac Division was not selling directly to the smaller dealers in California at that time.  Most authorized Cadillac retailers of northern California had to get their new cars and new parts through Don Lee, Inc.  Consequently, most new car records for 1940-48 mention only the distributor, Don Lee, Inc., or a vague reference to the distributor based at San Francisco (Don Lee, Inc.), but not necessarily a smaller Cadillac retailer who may have bought the car new from Lee, such as T. F. Kilmartin of San Jose.

Cadillac Division took over the northern and southern California distribution territories for 1949 as well as the lucrative retail stores at Van Ness Avenue in San Francisco and 7th Street in Los Angeles.  The Burlingame dealership was, AFAIK, the only one in northern California that Don Lee, Inc. kept, and they did not keep it more than a few years.  By 1953 it was Rector Motor Company.

Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

bongo7777

Hello Tom,
Thank you for your very informative post. I am sorry I only just saw it today.
Very interesting.
My 1942 Cadillac 62 series Club Coupe was invoiced to Don Lee Inc. and sent to Grissom Motor Co in Salinas Calif.
It stayed in that area for most of it's life except for a few years in Pennsylvania and then "home" to me in Australia.
Thanks again.
Graham.
Melbourne, Australia.
Graham Waddingham.
1941 Cadillac Sedanette, 1942 Sedanette, 1955 Fleetwood, 1955 Meteor Hearse,
1956 Sedan DeVille, 1956 Fleetwood 75, 1956 Eldorado,
1957 Fleetwood, 1957 Eldorado, 1958 Fleetwood 75 series, 1959 75 Limousine, 1960 Flat Top, 1960 Limousine, 1960 Fleetwood, 1960 convertible. 1953 Cadillac 75 Imperial Derham, 1949 Cadillac Imperial,

Jeff Maltby 4194

This is from a retired Buick friend whom worked in the sf bay area many years at a Buick dealership.

I never followed Don Lee but I do know about Charles Howard. Back then GM franchised distributorships. They in turn would sell both cars and parts to dealerships. Charles Howard of Sea Biscuit fame had the Buick distributorship. His territory was every thing west of theMississippi river. He started with a bicycle shop on Van Ness Ave that turned into the Howard Motor Company. In his day he was the richest man on the west coast Dealerships paid him for the cars and parts, not GM. One problem with the system was the rare or low production cars were not released to dealerships and had to be purchased from him. This created friction between the two. The dealership I worked for bought cars and parts from him back in the 40's until the distributorships were abandoned. The dealer principle worked for BMD at the time and was part of the crew to inventory the parts when the Howard Motor Company closed.
     I have car and parts invoices from the Howard Motor Company to my dealership I can let you see via e-mail if you would like. 1948 sounds about right for the closers. Also keep in mind there were not window stickers or retail prices until 1958. I also think GM did not dictate wholesale prices to dealerships. The system made a some men like Howard very rich.

http://www.prewarbuick.com/features/charles_s_howard
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500