News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

A/C

Started by gross707, August 27, 2015, 06:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gross707

The a/c on my recently acquired '59 Series 62 is in critical condition and most likely is beyond hope.  Is there a modern replacement unit/system out there that can be installed in its place, operating thru the original in-dash controls?
Sweating it out in Louisiana,
Gerald
Gerald Ross

Dan LeBlanc

The question is why would you do that when everything is readily available through Old Air in Texas to rehabilitate your existing system.  They can rebuild your compressor, new condensers are available, all the vacuum actuators are available.

A modern system won't cool as well as a factory system running on R-12 and altering it would significantly diminish the value of your car should you choose to sell it.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Agreed with Dan - no reason the original system cannot be made to work.

No aftermarket a/c setup of which I am aware will utilize the existing ductwork and dash outlets; you will get a modern underdash unit with its own integral blower motor.

Frankly, I really wouldn't recommend that road if it can be avoided.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Dan LeBlanc

The cost of parts to rehabilitate the old system should be approximately equal to the cost of a new system.

If you want to upgrade your compressor from the A5 to the A6, you can get an upgrade kit to use your existing brackets.  I would save the A5 compressor to pass along to a future owner.  Or just get the one you have rebuilt.

Labour to install a new system should be about the same as repairing the old one.

So, really, same cost.  In the end, the value that would suffer would be that of the car.
Dan LeBlanc

gross707

I didn't know about Old Air but I'll check 'em out!
Thanks,
Gerald
Gerald Ross

cadillac ken

Freon 12 is getting tougher to find and that should be your only concern.  With that said, I always try to keep the original Freon 12 system in all my old cars and hoard all the R12 I can find. It is much more efficient than 134A.  The 134A runs at higher pressures and everything in your system will need to be replaced.  A larger evaporator as well as a larger condenser.

cadillac ken

Vintage Air is a great system/company.  I have not installed a unit into a 1959 like yours but have used many of their units in other customer's classic cars in my shop.  The last one we did was a 1955 Chevy with the electronic servo controls that fit exactly where the old cable controls did in the dash.  Other than the Vintage Air logo, you could not tell any modification had been made.

They are the company to go with for a very nice retro fit unit that will work for years.

Ken, does Vintage Air offer a setup that utilizes original ductwork allowing the air conditioning to come from the dash outlets on cars equipped with factory air conditioning?

Dan LeBlanc

The only ones I've seen are for Chevrolet, Ford, and Mopar products in their catalog.
Dan LeBlanc

That makes sense since early factory air conditioning was "hang on" rather than being integrated into the dash in many cases.

It's much easier designing aftermarket replacement a/c system components compatible with OEM under dash air. 

TJ Hopland

They do have some 'universal' in dash units but I can't imagine very many cars that have the space to fit them.   I think they are mainly used in more custom applications where someone builds a somewhat custom dash around the unit.     They do make in dash units for some of the more popular applications but those are the Mustang, Impala sorts of things.   A trunk mounted system seems like the best option if there is not a specific kit for your car or you can't revive the original system. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Well anyway, to get the factory a/c working in a '59 Caddy can cost a bag of money depending on how much it needs, and of course whether you can do the work yourself. Beyond some point, an aftermarket setup is probably going to cost less - while performing better and with better reliability, in all frankness.

The question of whether having the system totally correct is worth the extra commitment is something you must ponder carefully.