News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

49 Fleetwood auto shift linkage

Started by kipper, August 28, 2015, 04:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kipper

I am in the UK and have a 49 Fleetwood I imported last year, my first Caddy. The auto shift linkage from the steering column down to the auto box is made up of several rods joined together. Each joint of the linkage seems very loose and the shift lever seems loose as it moves between neutral, drive etc. I have a shop manual and parts book but there is no detailed drawing of the various linkages showing how each one should be joined to the next one. Although mine is all joined together I suspect that it must be missing some bushes or other fixings because it is all so sloppy.Does anybody have detailed drawings showing the linkage  how it should be from top to bottom?   I should have mentioned that my car is a 49 60 special Fleetwood , thanks.E Skipper.

Paul Phillips

There is a rubber bushing with a center metal tube that can cause a lot of play if it has deteriorated.  See http://www.steelerubber.com/shift-lever-bushing-70-2026-26.  The other linkage parts are mostly metal on metal with springs or spring washers for anti-vibration.  I also have a 49 60S and can take photos of any specific area where you have questions.

Hope this helps
Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

kipper

Hi Paul, Thanks for your reply. I took some photos of my linkage some time ago, so will have a look at them to refresh my memory. I have looked at the rubber and metal bush on the link you sent me. I don't recall seeing one on my linkage. Can you let me know whereabouts it is located and I will have a look. Seems sensible for me to get one anyway if I am going to overhaul the whole linkage. Many thanks. Martin.