News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Shipper Damage

Started by Fred Pennington 25635, August 28, 2015, 06:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Pennington 25635

Greetings, Has anyone had experience with a shipper damaging a car.
I bought a 40 LaSalle on ebay for parts.
Had it shipped,
The transport company didn't know where to find the parking brake handle and let it roll into another car smashing the front fenders.
The car doesn't have bumpers on it.

Their insurance company (Progressive) is sending someone to look at it next week.
I was just curious if anyone had any insight.

Thanks,
Fred Pennington, CLC 25635
1940, LaSalle 5019
1940 LaSalle 5019 parts car
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

Karkrazy

Their company is well known at least in the East. Most adjusters will not be familiar with expenses to repair and specifics of the car..and its costs.
My suggestion, do your homework to make you whole ..and supply supporting real documents to give him. You also can contest their figures if need be provided you can substantiate the higher figure..Good luck.

R
Likely some of you own my former cars.. I had many, many Cads as well as other luxury makes over the years.
Currently have no collector cars right now, but looking..if you have something give me a try.

55 cadi

Hello Fred,
Sorry you recieved it damaged.

To maybe help with avoiding the back and forth with them I would get multiple examples that are current selling or recently sold fenders to show the actual cost of what they are selling for, and a few quotes to have installed/ taken off, If the adjuster sees the prices as they are he might be more inclined to give what is needed, but they also try to give as little as possible.

I would make sure to tell adjuster that they are insuring a company that does not ship properly.

It baffles me that a shipper did not choke the wheels or strap it down in any way to not damage it after knowing they could not find a parking brake, I would let people know what company it is so others don't use them.

You can't say "not" to use them but you can say the experience you had with "company" , like I used ..........company and this is what happened.

Good luck with the insurance, hope you get what is deserved.
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Fred Pennington 25635

Thanks Gentlemen,
I think I will give them Allcads and John Gately's numbers for reference and see where it goes.

The shipping company claims this is their first damage claim and they are handling well so far.
So for now I won't beat them up.

1940, LaSalle 5019
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

Fred Pennington 25635

I thought I would give an update.
After much discussion with the transport company's insurance company ( Progressive ).
I finally got them to understand fenders for a 1940 LaSalle are impossible to find, far more valuable and more difficult to repair or to find someone willing to repair then a modern car.
My restoration body shop convinced them the repair cost would be approximately $2500.00
Progressive agreed to pay what I paid for the car ($1950.00) less the transport company's deductible of $1000.00.
At this point I'm thinking, I can live with that but now how do I get the other $1000 from the transporter.
Progressive said they will make sure the transport company pays.
If they don't, Progressive will cancel their policy.
So it appears I just got a parts car for free.
Not totally bad, but I really would like to have had the front fenders intact.

Now the big lesson.
I was informed that this is a freight claim. NOT an auto claim.
The laws are different and the transportation company is not liable in the same way to repair or replace.
Transportation of a vehicle is considered  freight and  is handled just as any common freight company would handle a damage claim.
They are not liable to pay more than I paid for the car.
Apparently the government has limits and regulation that protect the trucking industry. 
I was fortunate to find this out on something relatively cheap.
Make sure you have your car insured before you ship a car, collector or other wise.
My collector car policy covers my collector cars in transit.
However Hagerty does not insure parts cars or cars under $3500.00
1940, LaSalle 5019
1968 Ford Bronco
1973 Mustang Convertible
2012 Shelby GT500

Bobby B

Fred,
Thanks for the quick lesson. I've shipped many vehicles without problems. Guess I've been lucky so far. ::)  Good luck with the remainder of your claim……...
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Bobby

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH