News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Club on-line publication idea

Started by James Landi, September 05, 2015, 07:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Landi

I truly enjoy reading your posts,have learned a good deal of information, and you may recognize me as someone who occasionally comments in an effort to move the conversation along or to provide "shade tree" mechanical advice.  I have noticed that some of our members will ask for advice that covers reoccurring,  general mechanical issues.  The more cautious will seek advice BEFORE they attempt a fix, but some, in an effort to fix a problem, apparently create potentially huge issues, and, alas, some feel that the moment  they purchase a running, drivable car, that getting an expensive engine rebuild will, in some way, make an old car new again.  Could the membership not provide a brief on-line publication of "Do's and Don't's" by topic that might provide guidance for those folks  who have just enough knowledge and tools to do real damage?   (Lord knows, I certainly can identify the need, as I have made some major mistakes.)

Gene Beaird

That's probably not a bad idea.  Make them stickys like: " Common Cadillac issues for that newly-purchased Cadillac of yours", or "What to do to that new classic Cadillac you just bought" 

I've seen such things on other forums, and it might help keep some of the more common reoccurring questions, and replies from having to be repeated.   
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Walter Youshock

Put something together.  I'm sure it would be considered if properly done.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

jdemerson

I like James' idea a lot, as I am one who could benefit from having an organized list of issues with do's and don'ts. Here are some illustrative questions that might be addressed, with reference to Cadillacs from the Sixties/Fifties/Forties and older:

1. What is a list of routine maintenance steps that should be done each year, irrespective of miles being driven? Assume car driven under 1000 miles per year. (Surely oil change and filter and chassis lube. But how often should other fluids be flushed and changed -- brakes, transmission, radiator, hydraulics? What about replacing other filters?)

2. Should regular engine tune-up be done only when a drive-ability problem is present? Or should plugs, points, condenser, rotor, timing get attention/replacement every three (say) years?

3. What advice for winter storage?

4. Advice for gasoline and oil choice, and possibly additives? (For example, I have switched to ethanol-free gas and so far I think the result is a noticeable improvement. I use a lead substitute -- one can per 20 gallons of gas. If I use a good quality 10W-40 oil like Castrol GTX, are there additional additives that offer advantages in an old (1952 in my case) Cadillac?)

5. What leaks are worth fixing and which are best left alone? (For example, I have a slow oil leak, likely from a rear seal. Oil level drops about a quart in 800 miles or over a year. Should I just live with it and carefully watch the oil level?)

I understand that several of these question will generate different answers from different experienced members. But what can everyone agree on? And what do the majority of  owners of old cars worth maintaining and preserving actually do?

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac 6219X
Middlebury, VT
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

James Landi

Thank you John--- you've a great list--- many of these topics are regularly covered, and some of the commentary incorporating great advice, leaves one in an ambiguous state-- some recommending a protocol some not.  I surmise that no on-line self-help would be comprehensive in its scope; however, I think a good standard practices overview would save club members a good deal of time, money, and frustration. 

Perhaps a club moderator could get something going on a web site where advice could be dumped by topic, and perhaps some kind of editing system for those interested in committing to the time and energy to reading and critiquing?