News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Barn find 34

Started by willowbilly3, September 03, 2015, 03:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willowbilly3

I thought some of you may enjoy this picture. 2 bachelor farmer/hoarder brothers. Amongst their hundreds of cars poorly stored indoors and out. Nothing for sale

A few more.

Caddyholic

where is all this at? I heard a similar story of a guy in winfield, MO
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

willowbilly3

Not the same guys. Here are a few more pics

Rod Dahlgren #19496

Disgusting SHAME that these cars are not properly cared for -- They need to be operable and shared with the WORLD. We need so much to preserve the wonderful cars of the past. Hiding them away from the eyes of those who appreciate this is just WRONG. ANYONE that has the ability to help a person with cars like this should be out there doing it.
Did YOU drive your Old Car today? How long has it been since you took at least ONE of your collection out and shared with the public eye? DO It--  Then go help another member get a car running-- Take it OUT and SHOW it-- NO MATTER WHAT the condition-- Get it running and ENJOY!
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

willowbilly3

On some level I tend to agree but I also think anyone's stuff is theirs to do with as they please. For me it was a once in a lifetime experience to see that level of hoarding.

chrisntam

It's surprising they let you take pics of what they have and let you post it on the web.  I'd be worried about theft.....
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Steve Passmore

I will never understand why people do this.  It would break my heart to see cars deteriorate in front my eyes.  I would have to sell and let someone enjoy them.  They are not doing the world any favours.   Judging by the colour of the grass they are not even in a dry State.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

willowbilly3

I had their permission to take pictures and post them but out of courtesy will not reveal the location. It is actually not what you would call a wet state, just a spring with good rainfall. Cars really don't rust much just sitting. Al of the restored cars are inside and they have lots of cats so not a sign of any mouse damage. Just dust and all the crap they pile in around them. It is sad they never drive any of those cars though.

Dave Ventresca

just proves there are still a lot of treasures out there to restore someday. Dave

Jay Friedman

There's a guy here in GA like that.  Maybe a hundred cars, almost all desirable and some high dollar, sitting in flimsy buildings or out in the cold.  The Peach State Region had an outing there one day.  I found it kind of depressing.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

James Landi

Interesting how ownership of intrinsically valuable, yet deteriorating cars causes us to cringe.  At some odd emotional level, the "hoarder brothers" have some emotional need being satisfied by holding on to EVERYTHING.

Mike Patla #23389

My thoughts are that these guys saved these cars and we should all be a little more thankful.  These cars will all be back in the market in a few more years.   I appreciate   un restored cars--   every car out there does not need a $15,000  paint job.   Mike

cadillac ken

I followed a lead once to a 1958 Brougham.  Got to a "junkyard' where the car was sitting outside.  The owner wanted way too much for the car just sitting out in the weather.  When I asked him what was in the metal building stored inside, he proudly showed me all his fiberglass street rod projects.

He willfully let a very valuable car sit outside while storing those that would not suffer too badly (being fiberglass) outside.  Go Figure.  Yet the price he put on the Brougham was telling me he thought it was a very, very valuable car but he saw no reason to protect it from the elements-- and this is NOT a dry state we live in.

I truly believe some folks simply enjoy owning something others would like to have despite having no interest in the particular vehicle(s).

Walter Youshock

Like that old fiddle grandma has under her bed that she inherited from great uncle Willie.  Nobody can touch it, let alone play it.  Then she dies and the house gets cleaned out by an estate buyer.  That fiddle turns out to be a missing Stradivarius...

American Pickers always amazes me. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

pianomanlja

Since they obviously like holding onto their stuff, I wonder if he'd trade 2 or 3 newer running cars for one of the older ones. It's an object to let go for a few more to hold on to.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I think that they actually like the chase of finding cars to add to their collection, not being gifted some for one of their treasures.

I believe the only way to get these cars before anyone else, is to become related to them, and then fight off all the other relatives with the same ideas.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Karkrazy

Don't we all wish to find such cars?  At least most are preserved and when the two misguided keepers pass they will go up for sale. Give them credit for storing them. They could have ended up in a crusher otherwise, or as a planter in the yard!

It's difficult to witness and understand this behavior for collectors, that's true.    I personally have recently seen a terrific 6 figure rare car in a garage since 1953! They are out there.. I pray to find a Duesie Town Car.. Well I can dream, can't I ?
Likely some of you own my former cars.. I had many, many Cads as well as other luxury makes over the years.
Currently have no collector cars right now, but looking..if you have something give me a try.