News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Upgrading 56 brake booster (with pictures)

Started by willowbilly3, September 04, 2015, 05:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willowbilly3

Upgrade from treadlevac to dual diaphragm booster on my 56 Sedan Deville. I started with one of these. I think it's for 60s Mopar. I fit a m/c I had left over from a 62 Ford, had to widen the holes a little with the die grinder.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151622151440?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Next made these brackets from 1 1/2"x1 1/2'x 3/16" angle.

A little grinding here on the original bracket for the booster to clear.

Tacked together.

Trimmed and welded, with bar added across the top of the angle iron.

Bracket bolted in the car.

And with the booster and m/c bolted in. I still have to plumb it and make a longer pushrod.

TJ Hopland

Is that the booster they call a 7" that seems to be pretty popular for many hotrod and retrofit apps?

You are going through all that and not going to a dual MC?

At least Cadillac didn't hide it under the steering column like a lot of folks seemed to do in the treadlevac era. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

willowbilly3

I do plan to do a dual system. A potential engine upgrade will probably necessitate a hydrovac at some point and if that doesn't happen, it will get a dual system. I just want to get it drivable for now and I had the Ford m/c already.

willowbilly3

And yes, I believe it is the same booster a lot of the rods use. I think original application is a 60s Mopar.

TJ Hopland

Getting on the road is a good thing.   How long has it been off the road or have you never had it on the road?

The hydroboost units tend to be similar in mounting and depth to the vac boosters so it should not be a big deal to switch if you need to.

Engine upgrade?  Like radical cam so it won't have much vac or even more unique like a diesel? 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

willowbilly3

I recently acquired the car and it hasn't been on the road for over 20 years. It didn't take much to get it running, clean the carb and gas tank and replace the ignition resistor and wire from the coil to points. I still have a power steering leak, tranny pan leak and replace the water pump, plus several electrical issues. I put all new brakes. Not sure on the engine upgrade but my nephew is trying to talk me into a 6.2 diesel with turbo and itercooler. He has about 10 6.2s in the crate that were Humvee takeouts. If we do that, it will also get discs up front and a Lincoln 9 inch with discs in the rear. I won't take out the 365 as long as it's running good though.

TJ Hopland

Before you tear off the pan make sure its not coming from somewhere higher up.   I have been trying to stop what I thought were pan leaks on a few cars this summer and it turns out none of them were pan issues.    On the 57 it was actually the dipstick tube that was leaking.   If I drove it everyday it was fine but if it sat for a day or two it would leak a lot.   Must have took a while for the fluid couplings to fully drain and that really raised the level in the case. 

I have seen pictures and videos of various cars with 6.2/6.5's and they looked pretty cool.  Never seen one in person or driven one.  There is one guy that has done a few Vettes and you see him doing burnouts so apparently if you gear em right you can have some fun.  I have thought about doing that to a 82-85 CDV or Fleetwood coupe.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

willowbilly3

The 20-25 mpg would be nice and I think still have enough beans to tow my 56 Pathfinder canned ham camper. I haven't investigated the trans leak too far bit it looks to be coming from the pan. I was kinda thinking just take it to a good old local tranny shop and have them do it so they could adjust the bands and such (if that's even possible on a hydamatic). After a lifetime as a mechanic, I really hate laying under cars anymore.

TJ Hopland

I think the 56-63 dual coupling trans does have a band but its not normally used, I think its for low range or engine braking or something like that.  Other than the dual fluid couplings the other new thing was it had 2 sprag clutches.  The previous model had bands and clutches and the need for band adjustments was apparently something they wanted to get rid of with this new model. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

willowbilly3

Ok, thanks. I think at some point I will also get rid of the stock cooler and move to a more modern one in a better location.

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: TJ Hopland on September 05, 2015, 06:59:33 PM
I think the 56-63 dual coupling trans does have a band but its not normally used...
That's correct. One band, not adjustable.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101