News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1974 deville window and door panel questions

Started by lentel, September 07, 2015, 02:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lentel

I am new here and have a couple of questions. I  have issues with both the front windows. The passenger window is somewhat slow to roll up and down compared to the other windows. What might cause that? The driver window rattles around kinda loose when you roll it up or down. What might cause that?

If i want to take a look , how do i get the door panels off with out breaking or damaging them.
Thanks in advance

Julien Abrahams

I am not completely sure how to get the door panels off on a '74, but there should be screws and clips that hold the panel to the door. On my '67 you have to look for the screws as the door panel 'carpeting'  is pretty thick. Then use your fingers to pry the panel off. I would not recommend using a screwdriver as this might damage things.
About the windows: some silicon spray might work on the window guides. The rattling could be due to worn brushes.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

savemy67

Hello lentel,

Welcome to the forum.

There could be a number of causes of the symptoms you describe, but most likely, the passenger window mechanism needs to be cleaned and lubricated.  The rattling of the driver's window is most likely a loose/disconnected/broken fastener or part.  I would minimize the use of the driver's window to avoid breaking the glass.

In both cases it is best to remove the door panels to see what the problem is and to take corrective action.  As Julien said, door panels are generally held on with a combination of screws and clips.  The location of some screws is obvious, but some locations are hidden, and if you try to force the panel off without having removed all the screws, you may damage the panel.

If this kind of repair is something you want to undertake, I suggest you get the Fisher Body manual for your car - not the shop manual.  All the body assemblies - glass, doors, windows, seats, trim, etc. - are described in the Fisher Body manual (note, this manual covers all GM makes).  The manuals are on eBay for less than $25.00.  Good luck.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

35-709

Don't know about a '74 but on a '73 the door panels are in two pieces, separated by a narrow stainless strip that is held on with one screw at the forward end and clips along the rest of it.  The proper way to remove this strip (which has to be done before you can proceed removing the top door panel section --- which has to come off first) is to remove the single screw and then sliiiide the strip toward the rear until it is free.  MANY people try to pull this strip straight off which bends the thin clips and often breaks them off.  They cannot be replaced.  If they don't break off when incorrectly trying to remove the strip you get a second chance of breaking them off when you try to straighten them so they will hold the strip on when you re-install it now that you have too late discovered how to do it.  If you have more than one screw in that strip you can be sure someone before you has tried to pull it straight off before.  Frustrating to see (and I've seen it often enough) when someone not knowing what they are dealing with basically ruins that strip with its fragile clips.  Then you have to try and hold it on with another screw or screws which really begins to look ugly.  Then, assuming again the '74 is similar to a '73, you will see slots through which you insert your phillips screwdriver to remove the screws that hold the lower portion of the upper door panel.  After that remove the door lock button and lift up on the upper panel (window down) to release it from the upper tabs and it will come right off. 

If your '74 is different, at least maybe someone with a '73 can avoid ruining another strip so they can use it another day.

Fisher Body Manual --- an excellent idea, in addition to the '74 Cadillac Shop Manual!  Both of which are easy to find and inexpensive to buy on eBay Motors.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

RobW

73 and 74 are the same as far as removing door panels. After doing as 35-709 said for the upper you remove the lower by removing the 2 Philips screws in the chrome handle pocket and remove the pocket.  Remove the switch panel, there's a screw at the front of it. The lower door  panel is held on by plastic clips down the sides and along the bottom. Lift an edge carefully and insert a trim panel remover around the clip and pry carefully so as to not rip the clip thru the door panel. Check that someone didn't use screws buried in the carpet. After that there should be a brown/black paper cover held on by caulking. Just carefully peel that away try to save it. It keeps dirt/water off the back of the panel.
Rob Wirsing

lentel

thank you guys very much. I am going to order a manual and take this on very carefully.
thanks again