News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Charging system question on 71

Started by willowbilly3, September 08, 2015, 12:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willowbilly3

On my 71 Coupe Deville the Gen light stays on. I am getting 13+ volts at the battery when idling so it is obviously charging. My first thought is faulty regulator but I don't like just throwing parts at something hoping it's the fix. Is there a test I can do?

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Is the "gen" light glowing faintly or is it bright?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

signart

First test condition of your battery while not running. Should be 12.6-12.8v Check grounds, belt tension. Should have 14+ volts while running.
Art D. Woody

Scot Minesinger

I have the exact same problem on a 72, let me know if you figure it out.  I have spent a lot of time trying too and have given up.  Installed a voltmeter and just ignore it.  However, would like to resolve.  Just purchased a "short finder" and maybe that will help.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

35-709

My Gen light came on and stayed on eventhough it was charging, but it was charging too much.  A new internal regulator fixed it.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Scot Minesinger

Geoff,

Internal to the alternator?  I tried a few alternators to no avail.

35-709

Yes.  Internal to the alternator.  Oh, '71, are we talking an older type external regulator here?
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

willowbilly3

Quote from: signart on September 08, 2015, 06:13:02 PM
First test condition of your battery while not running. Should be 12.6-12.8v Check grounds, belt tension. Should have 14+ volts while running.
It's a new battery. I know how to test. 13 + volts might be a little weak on the charging but it shouldn't have a bright constant gen light.
I used to be an ASE certified tech, worked on thousands of cars, just have a little brain fart here and don't want to buy a new regulator just for testing purposes. I have considered going to a newer internal regulated Delco but changing from one junk crappy design to another seems like a move sideways. Never was a fan of Delco alternators, especially not the I/R, changed 50 of them to one for any other type. Maybe I'll put a 3G Ford on it,lol.

Scot Minesinger

I feel your pain on the 72 Eldorado with gen light on, when charging system works.  This car had a butcher install a modern radio after I got it.  The gen light was off and then it went on for no reason, so I cannot blame the radio.  Got to be a short somewhere allowing bulb to light.  It will not light when ignition key is turned to run position with car off as a test, and neither do any of the other warning lights work in test position.  It could be poor connection to printed circuit board.

willowbilly3

I guess I need to find a wiring diagram and track it down, seems like I remember those idiot lights function on some sort of differential. I've just been putting volt meters in for so many years I kinda forgot but I just want this car stock and correct. I'll let you all know when I figure it out, probably something simple like a poor ground.

mgbeda

I don't know if your '76 has the same alternator set-up as a '76.  The '76 (and similar) ones sometimes had a faulty diode in the alternator that caused only one problem- the generator light staying on, dimly.  The rest of the system could still work fine.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

willowbilly3

Scot Minesinger

willowbilly,

Thanks for this post.  My "trans" fuse is also blown and there is a short because as soon as you replace it, the fuse blows again.  Coupled with Steven Tuck's body fuse blowing and the discussion on short circuit finder tools, I should be able to sort this out.  I really was at a loss and the car seemed fine otherwise, so you may have really helped me with my 1972 Eldorado-will keep you posted.