News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1972 Eldorado air conditioning refrigeration problem resolved

Started by Scot Minesinger, September 10, 2015, 10:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

I wrote on a previous post about how the air conditioning system mysteriously would not provide cold air when everything had been replaced (sometimes twice in search of the resolution) and thank you all for the suggestions.

The problem was that the evaporator sold to me as new, was a used one reconditioned and painted.  The paint was a resistance to heat transfer and resulted in only about half the temperature drop needed.  I contacted the supplier and they sent me a real new one and after installing it there was nice cold air. 

When installing the first evap that was painted, I saw that it was painted and did not think that much about it figuring it would be OK-well it was not.  You know if I return the painted evap it will be eventually back on the shelf and sold to a trusting 1972 Eldorado enthusiast and they will suffer the same fate as me.  Perhaps I'm not the first to suffer with this evaporator. 

I am return this evaporator for a full refund.  However, it is now taken out of circulation to spare any future 1972 Eldorado enthusiast the grief I suffered.  This was fun saving future Eldorado enthusiasts.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
It is likely that there was some internal issues with the evaporator, but just a coat of paint (unless it was space shuttle coating) will not hinder heat transfer.  We have been painting repaired Refrigeration evaporator coils for decades. Since you have destroyed it you cannot check, but I would wager that the evaporator was used with R-134a without thoroughly cleaning out residual mineral oil and became gunk ed up, restricting heat transfer and/or refrigerant flow on the inside.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Greg,

Could have been an internal problem.  It was flushed out twice and 125psig compressed air was used.  There was free flow thru that evap no question, although internal coating could of course been the problem.  I think if painted properly by a person that understands how important heat transfer is then it might have been OK.  It may have had a paint soaking in-between the fins or something, and usually painters of this type of operation are not aware of the importance of heat transfer.

I'm only human, and I think if roles were reversed few on this forum could have maintained the willpower not follow my path.  At any rate at least it will not victimize future 1972 (I think 1971 also) Eldorado enthusiasts.

BTW I feel like the overheating issue will be resolved soon and will post the results as I have here.  Likely there will not be this type of blame for a bad part.

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Coupe Deville

Hahaha! Scot, that picture really made me laugh. But I completely understand why you did it.

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Scot Minesinger

In all seriousness, everyone knows if I return that evaporator unaltered it will eventually just be cleaned up and put back on the shelf and the next buyer of it will suffer the same fate as me.  Further, no supplier is consider what is on the inside, they just want it to look good on the outside.  Yes, I have low/no faith in the majority classic car parts venders - you can't live without them unfortunately.  This action stops the circulation.  If they do not refund my money I will file legal action.  At this point it is about the principle.

That evaporator was fairly tough.  One summer of a lot of wood splitting by hand I went to a carnival with the kids and won that sledge hammer game.  I know my way around a wood splitters maul.  That took a lot of strikes in the same spot to get it to the state needed.

What is that green film that shows on the inside of the suction pipe?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

TJ Hopland

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

Yes it is leak tracing dye.  I always use that so you find out about a bad front compressor seal before it is too late.