News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1972 Cadillac, Seat Transmission Compatibility?

Started by Coupe Deville, September 11, 2015, 12:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone. The power seats are not working on my project 72' CDV, and I traced it down to the seat transmission. I disassembled the trans and one of the solenoids was completely charred and melted. Even the wires were melted inside the trans case. (The previous owner is lucky it didn't catch on fire). My question is, I need to source a replacement. I actually only need the solenoids. My local junk yard has a few late 70s early 80s Cadillacs there. Would the seat transmission from any of these cars be compatible with my 1972?

-1975 Coupe Deville (seat may not be in it anymore, don't remember)
-1977 Sedan Deville
-1978 Coupe Deville
-1980/1981 Eldorado

Would love to have some information about compatibility before I drive to Willmington.
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Scot Minesinger

The power seat principle operation is the same for many years, certainly from say mid 60's to early 80's.  However from year to year minor changes did occur that lowered cost and solved problems.  So the parts may not all interchange in the 70's decade.  My 1972 Eldorado project had power seat issues too and Cadillac Tim sold me all the parts at a good price.  Google Cadillac Tim in Iva, SC.  Also he will know better what years interchanged exactly part for part.

My 72 needed a transmission, some cables and some corner actuators.  Had to fix it because the passenger side had the actuator stuck in top position and with top down and driver seat in lower position seats looked stupid-lopsided - high on passenger side, low on driver side.  That is all fixed now and car is good for now on the seats.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Gavin,
I believe the 75 would be the same.   I might suggest USA Parts.  If they don't have what you need you might try Honest John's in Justin Texas.  I know my '79 has a completely different type (Transmission) with a plastic case.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

cadillactim

The bench seat six way transmission is the same from 1964-1978. You can swap out the entire transmission or just the solenoid assembly. The bucket seat transmission is different, and the solenoid assembly will not fit the bench seat transmission.

Tim
Tim Groves

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone! Thank you all for replying with your helpfull information. I'm hoping to get the salvage yard tomorrow. I'll post back with the outcome.

Thanks

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"