Author Topic: Opinions on originality  (Read 1119 times)

Offline pianomanlja

• Name: L. Avery
Opinions on originality
« on: September 12, 2015, 08:09:41 PM »
I've got a question for yall. I've been looking for a restoration project, a 30-33 roadster or convertible coupe, and that's proving to be just about impossible. I have found a 32 that I like, it does not have a body (or interior for that matter) and is just a rolling chassis basically. Here's my dilemma. Upon some research, the body that came with the car was a sedan. If I buy the car, it'll be something I'll restore, and use purely for my personal use. Not to trailer around to shows and whatnot, and not to sell off as soon as it's done. So if I buy it, is it morally wrong to put the roadster body on it? I feel like I'd be committing some Cardinal sin by changing it, but at the same time I feel like it'd make me happiest to restore it the way I would have ordered it in 1932 personally. Thoughts?

Offline RobW

• CLC # 24676
Re: Opinions on originality
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 08:16:10 PM »
It can never be "original" if it's missing its body. Build it anyway you want.
Rob Wirsing

Offline The Tassie Devil(le)

• Administrator
  • CLC Number: 18992
  • Name: Bruce Reynolds
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 08:50:37 PM »
What Rob said.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Online 35-709

• The most valuable antique is an old friend.
  • CLC Number: 4719
  • Name: G. Newcombe
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 09:48:41 PM »
What Rob and Bruce said.   ;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bill Young

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 11:23:12 PM »
First , The Cars original body is gone. Second the cost of building ANY Body for that Chassis as well as trimming it and finishing it  is a small fortune and few would undertake such a project in 2015 on a 1932 Chassis. And finally in the final analysis I feel personally regarding My Cadillac  I own it for My pleasure not others , If someone else likes it great but I did not buy it or restore it for them. If You want it and can afford to buy it , build it and drive the wheels off it , it'll be Yours. One Mans opinion.

Offline Jeff Rose CLC #28373

• CLC Number: 28373
  • Name: Jeff Rose
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 01:26:28 PM »
Life is short, do what you want------ As long as your wife says it's OK. ;)
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Offline Smedly

• Name: Sheldon Hay
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 02:50:55 PM »
I second all the above, Originality is over rated. >:D
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Offline Duncan Fox

• Name: Duncan Fox
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 05:39:40 PM »
Im I a similar situation as you. I have a sixteen project that has been re bodied already, see my thread on Packillac.  With the bulk of the 16 cars up and running , you are in the dregs at the bottom of the barrel and aren't left with many options. Even if you find a correct body , its still not the original car. Do your self a favour and look at the V16 survivors list. You will be surprised at how many were sedans re bodied as roadsters and touring cars.
I see it as the hole in the atmosphere ,you are saving a car, its just not going to be the way it left the factory. My approach is I don't actually want to copy a period production body, I cant see the point , it will always be a fake, so instead ive taken some period independant designs and will build mine to represent something that could of been and excites me and hopefully others.
Always remember you are doing this for your own pleasure not what someone else may want. Take on board what others have said here also, if you haven't got a period body and intend building one from scratch , its not a cheap or easy exercise. Don't do it if you are expecting a return on your money. Ive been in the car restoration industry all my life and I get a little tired of all this original BS . A survivor is original......... when you re trim, re paint , re body  and even Pebble Beach spec a car its no longer as it left the factory. Don't get too wrapped up in "original"
A 32 of any brand is a good start .......
1930 V16 roadster
2005 CTSV

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13