News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 Brake Drum and Backing Plate Getting Hot

Started by junkyard junky, September 13, 2015, 06:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyard junky

The passenger side rear brake drum and backing late are getting hot on my 56 coupe deville. Previous owner Installed new shoes and wheels cylinders along with turning the drums. Last year I had the same issue and pulled the wheel to check everything out. Didn't find anything strange but I did back the adjuster off a little. Well the car sat from then until recently. Took the car down the road and back (about 2-3 miles). Got under the car with a handheld thermometer and the drum at the bottom was 228 degrees, backing plate was 178 degrees, and the end of the axle housing where the flange is to bolt the backing plate to was at room temp (about 78 degrees). This was all on the right side. Went to the driver's side rear and the drum was about 60 degrees cooler. So I'm thinking I still need to back the adjuster off more first. Last year when I first had this problem I checked the axle shaft for excessive movement and did not detect any. Anything else besides maybe the brake shoes being a little too tight?

J. Rutledge

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Stuck wheel cylinder? Weak return springs? Crud in the brake line?

Jon S

Collapsed rubber brake hose releasing slowly. Does wheel spin free jacked up?
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Roger Zimmermann

I had that problem with one drum on my '56 de Ville. The return springs were too weak; the problem went away with new springs.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

TJ Hopland

I too was thinking return springs.   Also check to make sure the backing plates are nice and smooth, sometimes you can get a groove worn in em and the shoe will get caught in the groove and not be able to return.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scott Halver

I had a similar problem on the driver's side 1960, rear brake.......... long story,.....   turned out to be a "hot spot" on the drum.   I adjusted the brakes to what I considered "correct" then drove the car very easy.  After a couple of miles and one or two backups as part of just turning the car around (not backing to intentionally adjust-up the brakes via auto adjusters), I then noticed a grabbing and that the left rear backing plate and drum was a lot hotter than the right side-   via the laser heat gun.    What was happening was that the hot spot would "grab" the brake shoes and tighten up the brakes...............  on just a very light stop while backing-up, like out of the driveway.    The machine shop mgr told me that the drum had a hot spot.   I never could see the hot spot.   I had a replacement drum already turned and about the same size so I put it on the car............... and it drives perfect.          So, I'm not saying that you have a "hot spot"...........  just trying to share with you my solution found after a very long story.    SHalver CLC #24920
1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350

J. Gomez

J. Rutledge,

Once you have inspected and checked the solutions provided by others above.

If you have the Service Manual make sure you follow the steps on adjusting the brakes under Section 7 page 7-9 â€" 7-10 Major Brake Adjustment.

It is time consuming but it is necessary to performer those to check the clearance on top and bottom of the lining to drum.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

junkyard junky

Thanks everyone for all the replies.  Checked the shop manual but I think I had close to the same problem as Scott Halver. Backed the brakes off on that wheel and drove it down the road. Both backing plates and drums were the same temperature. I'm going to get some new brake drums.

J. Rutledge

walt chomosh #23510

JY junky,
  I'm surprised no other CLC members suggested the flexable(rubber) brake hose as a source of your problem.(connecting to your backing plate) The hoses deteriorate internally and tend to lock fluid and not return thus causing brake drag. A lot of later model cars also experience this problem.....there have been a lot of brakes burnt up because of drag....walt....tulsa,ok

D.Yaros

Quote from: walt chomosh #23510 on October 13, 2015, 09:41:50 AM
JY junky,
  I'm surprised no other CLC members suggested the flexable(rubber) brake hose as a source of your problem.(connecting to your backing plate) The hoses deteriorate internally and tend to lock fluid and not return thus causing brake drag. A lot of later model cars also experience this problem.....there have been a lot of brakes burnt up because of drag....walt....tulsa,ok
See Reply #2 in this thread.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Jon S

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jay Friedman

I recently had this problem on my '49 when driving it to the GN in Wisconsin.  I never did figure out exactly what it was, but when I returned home a new rear hydraulic hose, a rebuild of the wheel cylinder and then a "major" adjustment fixed it. 

I would especially like to second J. Gomez's advice on doing a major adjustment, which  involves measuring the shoe to drum clearances with a feeler gauge.  It's done a bit differently depending on the year model, so follow the instructions in your car's shop manual.  For example, on my '49 you adjust the shoes by turning the anchor pin eccentric from the back of the backing plate, while on a '55 you tap the backing plate with a hammer.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

J. Gomez

Quote from: Jay Friedman on October 13, 2015, 03:50:24 PM
For example, on my '49 you adjust the shoes by turning the anchor pin eccentric from the back of the backing plate, while on a '55 you tap the backing plate with a hammer.

Jay,

Similar process on the ’56 as for ’55.

A fun afternoon project for sure ;) not so great if you have to do all four wheels and you run out of your favorite "work" motivation beverage..!  ;D
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

junkyard junky

Previous owner installed new wheel cylinder all the way around along with two 2 rubber hoses up front and one in the rear. Right now the car is driveable. I plan on checking everything and adjusting this fall/winter. Right now I'm trying to get a 65 Coronet transmission straighten out after coming back from the transmission shop.