News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

hyd lifters

Started by camelot, September 15, 2015, 09:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camelot

Well after removing all my lifters, cleaning them , testing them by trying to put the plunger together in the verticle position and expecting it to fight back. I changed the oil to straight 30 weight and it was so quiet I swear the only noise I heard was the hum from the exhaust and a slight buzz from the generator. Wow what a beautiful engine! Till it warmed up! Temp guage just below half, oil pressure still just above 30 and I still get an intermitting tick from what I believe are 2 lifters. About 3-4 ticks then it goes away for About 5 sec's. Found a lot of "cheese" in the bottom of the buckets and thought I had it! Good thing I had gaskets left over from PO that he gave me. Guess I'll be pulling it apart again. I guess oil breaks down quite a bit after gets warm. I checked all the lifters for compressed clearance and none were more than about .050-.055. Most in the .040-.045 rang. Had plenty of room for pump up. I found it hard to do the 3.00 check and get a good feel for being on the bottom of the lobe. Anybody have a trick for putting the cam in the right position?  In the immortal words of JoeCereti.... I think I'll have a beer!
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w

Bobby B

Alex,
How about using a dial indicator with an extension going thru the valve guide for accuracy. The lifter block will be out anyway, and you should be dealing with the valves only, no springs when checking. Once you get on the heel exactly, you can slide the valve back in and get your measurement, knowing it's now positioned on the heel of the lobe. You better hope the clearance is less than three, or you'll be dealing with a few limited options here. It's tedious….Hope this helps.
                                                                                                                                         Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Steve Passmore

Thats a very good idea of Bobby's there Alex presuming you have the springs, collets and collars removed. My guess is you don't. I have always managed in that situation with a good light leaning well into the engine bay. Not a nice job though.  Years ago I welded up a 'T' piece out of steel rod with the head of the 'T' exactly 3" long identical to the proper factory tool. Makes the job easy.

While on the subject of intermittent noises theres always the chance its not the lifters of coarse.  Once the oil is warm I can't see its 'leak down' would be intermittent. They could be getting a reduced oil supply through those tiny pipes (did you clean them out)or it could be something completely different.

I'm in the process of investigating my coupe engine because of a intermittent hollow tick at idle. Checked all the usual suspects like lifters and I'm pretty sure I have finally found the culprit.     I have just one exhaust valve with a massive amount of wear in its guide, it can be rocked from side to side when open.   This is enough to allow the valve to not to centre on its seat every time it closes and to be forced sideways to seat properly and compression was down on this cylinder.  Will tear it down completely this winter.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

camelot

I didn't remove the valves or springs. I blew out everything with compressed air and brake cleaner. Everything was spotless when I reassembled the lifters. Even cranked the engine over to make sure nothing in the tubes and had oil flow before completing the connection.  I thought about making a "go-nogo" tool but realized I had a set of "snap" gauges and used them  instead with a micrometer. This way I new how much over the setting it was worn. Not by much.  a few thousands here or there.  I'm just wondering if its the tube on the plunger assembly hitting the bottom of the bucket and causing a sudden pinch off of oil occasionally. Seems the top spring assembly is stable if you have to "snap and lock" it into the plunger housing during reassembly according to the book. Like I said I'm sure I'll be back in there soon. Its getting late in the season here and want to check brakes and other things for now before I put it away for the season. Got a few more car shows at parking lots here to go to. Climbing into the engine compartment is probably the next maneuver too. Will remove the side panels for that. Got a few marks on my elbows  on this last caper.
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w