News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

56 Coupe Deville Purchase

Started by Coupedeville, September 16, 2015, 03:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupedeville

Hi Guys,

I am negotiating the purchase of a 1956 Coupe Deville. The car had a body off resto in 2002.
In 2009 the engine was rebuilt but the owner was advised that the engine block was a 56 but the heads were 57 and the valve train 58.

Does anyone foresee any issues with such an engine? Is this common practice? would the engine block had to of been modified to take the heads and valve train?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as it is not a cheap car.

Thanks and regards

Joe
Joe Hunt

dino

I would walk away.  Just my opinion.
D.Martini
1954 6237DX  CDV
1956 6267X  CCP

1960 6267X  CCP

James Landi

Hard to make a judgement with the info you've supplied.  If the engine runs well, has good oil pressure, appropriate internal engine temperature (no hot spots), and good compression (leak down test), the next step I'd recommend is an engine oil analysis to check for metals in suspension.  May be someone on the blog knows if these parts will cause engine failure, but if the engine is running well, and it passes these tests, you may be fine.  I did purchase a rebuilt marine engine that had a serious mismatch in the valve train.  It ran well, but had an audible and annoying valve train tap--the owner spent a ton of money but sold it to me for a "song"  ... after 600 hours of run time, the valves burned... (wrong sized push rod and tappets) -- if the price is good and the rest of the car is attractive, hell, go for it (IMHO)   Happy day, James

Caddyholic

If it was a true frame off in 2002 why would the engine need rebuilt in 2009?
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Caddy Wizard

Sounds like something is wonky.  Frame-off in 2002, rebuilt engine in 09, mismatched parts?  Hmmm.  Either the folks who have been doing this car and engine are not careful or something else is afoot.  On engines of this era, sometimes you can kill a perfectly good engine due to a faulty valve in the vacuum system for the wipers.  The valve sometimes allows the vacuum in the intake manifold to draw the oil up out of the oil pan and burn it.  That can lead to oil starvation for the bearings with little warning.  It has happened to folks on this forum -- get an engine rebuilt and then it fails shortly thereafter (usually on a highway trip).

I wouldn't buy it because of the mismatched parts.  But if you are set on doing so, run a compression check and also an oil pressure check.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Coupedeville

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

In fairness to the guy he has been open and honest about it. Had he not said anything I doubt I would ever have known unless I had a problem with the engine.

The story with the engine rebuild is, when the resto was being done in 2002 the engine was sent to a shop for a rebuild. It later transpired that the engine was only cleaned and detailed rather than fully rebuilt, despite being charged for a rebuild. so that's apparently why it was done in 2009.

As for doing compression and oil pressure checks, unfortunately I'm in the UK and the car is in Canada and I'm pretty sure no appraiser will do that for me.

Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions.

Regards

Joe
Joe Hunt

Dan LeBlanc

Joe.

Where is the car at in Canada?  We have quite a few CLC members in Canada who may be willing to lend a hand and inspect the car in person for you.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Coupedeville

Hi Dan,

The car is in Picton, Ontario.

Regards

Joe
Joe Hunt