News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1972 Cadillac, The dreaded nuteral saftey switch......

Started by Coupe Deville, September 16, 2015, 08:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone. I'm starting to near the end of my project 72' CDV. When I bought the car, the vacuum hoses going to the neutral safety switch were unpluged and capped off. So I am assuming that it has a leak. Are these switches rebuildable like the 1960's ones? Is there a way to fix this? Getting a new or nos one is definitely out of the question.

Thanks

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

cadillactim

Gavin

I have those switches rebuilt. Will send you a PM.

Tim
Tim Groves

TJ Hopland

Why is getting a new one out of the question?   I know they are not commonly available but they do seem to be around, and it appears that Tim has a rebuilt one. 

Is there something wrong with it?   Or did it just separate?    I have seen that happen many times and most of the time have been able to drill a hole in the cast piece that then allows me to use a zip tie to hold the plastic section on the cast part.   I know I did that to my 73 about 15 years ago after getting a 'fix' ticket from a cop for having my reverse lights on.   I seem to recall that even 15 years ago the one for my 73 was hard to find, a few years earlier and later no problem but of course mine was an odd one.   Its worked great ever since.   From time to time I have run into it with other cars too and they were all pretty similar. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Coupe Deville

Yeah TJ, the only reason I said getting a new or nos NSS was out of the question is because everyone wanted a very premium price for it! And being a broke teenager I just could not offered one. But I read Tim's message and he had one for a very fair price so I jumped on it! The old one wasn't broken, I took it apart to show the inside pices but prior to that it was just leaking internally and that's why I needed a new one. 

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Cadillac Jack 82

Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

35-709

The leaking part is the backside where the vacuum ports are, there is no vacuum in the part you showed in your first picture, only the electrical part.  The rear section of the switch may also be taken apart to access the rubber parts that may (or may not) be damaged.  The vacuum side of those switches can also make a hissing noise if they are not adjusted properly. 
Once you break the very delicate pot-metal tabs off the electrical side that hold that side together you have made the repair and reuse of the switch much more difficult.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2