News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Motorized Trunk Pull Down on 1983 Seville

Started by georgie49, September 18, 2015, 02:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

georgie49

The trunk pull down on my 83 Seville failed last week.  The motor runs all the time but nothing happens.  I have to unplug it.  I took it apart and found some damaged plastic gears so probably not repairable.  I checked around a little and replacements are expensive; a lot of money for a feature that I have always found to be more trouble than it is worth.  Has anyone ever converted one of these to a manual trunk lock?  Also, does anyone know what other Cadillac models and years use the same part? Suggestions will be appreciated.
George Bergen
CLC #10261

bcroe

That is pretty much what happened to the one on my 79 Eldo.  I just pulled the
relay (or fuse?) and adjusted for closing like any normal trunk.  Haven't gotten
around to pulling the motor to see what broke, but button release and light work
just like before.  Bruce Roe

Gene Beaird

That was how the pull-down in our 79 Seville was configured.  Rotated down so that when the trunk was closed, it was in the correct 'down' position, but the motor was unplugged, in at least two places!!  Works fine, although I'd like to have a functioning one, but in the 70's, at least, it seems they changed the design every year. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

It's around a $100 part new.

With a little shopping you could probably get a used one for a lot less.

Usually you can spin the motor by hand until the latch lowers to the normal closed position. May or may not be possible if the gears are bad however.

**1976 - 1979 Seville used a different style power trunk mechanism for which parts availability is much more limited...and expensive.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

bcroe

Quote from: Gene Beaird on September 18, 2015, 03:30:57 PM
That was how the pull-down in our 79 Seville was configured.  Rotated down so that when the trunk was closed, it was in the correct 'down' position, but the motor was unplugged, in at least two places!! 

The 79 Seville & Eldo share a lot, motor & EFI, etc.  Perhaps I should send you the remains of
mine for parts?  Bruce Roe

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Go to Cadillac parts in eastern KY on Craigs list.  There should pop up a light colored 1985 Seville. i got some trim from him and he owns two other Sevilles so he is familiar with the car. See what he would want for the pull down.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

bcroe

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189Go to Cadillac parts in eastern KY on Craigs list. 
There should pop up a light colored 1985 Seville. i got some trim from him and he owns
two other Sevilles so he is familiar with the car. See what he would want for the pull down. 

Maybe.  The 80 up Seville is an E car (FWD like Eldo), the 79 is a K car (RWD).  Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

It pretty much fit all the GM's that had power trunks in the 80's.   I think the hatchback Firebirds and Camaros used em so perhaps that is why they are being reproduced now.  You also found them on things like the Roadmaster Caprice and 98 sorts of cars.

If the switch is good you can buy the motor - housing - gear as a repair kit from Dorman.   Most parts stores carry them or have a cross to their private label version.    For me its always been the switch that was the problem and that is a hard to find part. 

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-12350-747-000.aspx?year=1983&make=Cadillac&model=Seville&parttype=Motor%20-%20Trunk%20Lid%20Pull%20Down&origin=YMM

When mine was dead (due to the switch) I was able to find a height for the catch that seemed to seal the trunk alright and was not too hard to open and close.   IF the gear teeth are bad but it still works as a nut maybe you could remove the motor and use a screwdriver to adjust the remains of the gear to get the height to a good spot then jam something in it to hold that position. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I've been looking for a switch for my 1977 for over a year now.  :-[
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

georgie49

Thanks for all of your prompt replies to my question.  You have given me a few things to mull over before deciding which is the best option for my '83 Seville.
George Bergen

georgie49

I thought I would give some feedback on what I ended up doing with my trunk latch.  I removed the motor/switch/worm gear assembly entirely.  That left the portion of the assembly that bolts in and has the "hook" that the trunk latch mates with.  The shaft that adjusts the height of the hook is contained in a plastic cylinder.  I sawed off about 3/4 inch of the plastic cylinder at the bottom so I could turn the shaft by hand to adjust height after installed in the car.  I was then able to raise the hook until I got a good grip on the trunk to latch it.  It now locks and unlocks manually which will do for the time being at least.
George Bergen