News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1974 472cid and new camshaft

Started by Ville, September 18, 2015, 04:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have 70k miles and maybe its clever to do timing chain. I was wondering that why not new cam in same time?

Ive looked summits cams and mts cams.

Effiency/low+mid torque is what i want and close to original. So nothing else engine job, maybe new springs and lifters if its must.

How much hp/lbft only cam gives? And is someone tried only cam and get dyno results?
CDV 1974

Bobby B

Ville,
Hi. Lots going on here with just changing the cam and nothing else. Gains will be minimal and maybe not worth it. Might cause other problems lurking in the engine if you're not going to go the distance. I can"t tell you how many times I've seen the top end of a motor completely redone, only to cause problems in the bottom end, leading to a full rebuild anyway. If it were me, I honestly wouldn't touch it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it…..If you wind up doing the full valve train, save yourself a lot of headache and use a roller set-up. The aggravation and crapshoot of breaking in a hydraulic cam nowadays is just not worth it anymore. Been there, done that. Less stress for sure. Just my 2 cents…..
                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Scot Minesinger

Hi, I have three 1970 Cadillacs RWD with the 472 engine and have replaced the timing chain on them all.

You have to remove the radiator, a/c condenser, and grille at a minimum to replace the cam in addition to all the timing chain work.  I would so not replace the cam.  The car may gain some power, but nothing to write home about.  You have very little up side gain and a lot of downside risk not to mention the cost. 

If you replace the cam you will only loose by four seconds in the quarter against my Mother in Law's Camery instead of five seconds.  it is just not worth it.  Your five thousand pound comfort mobile is not a racer, but it is so cool - enjoy it! 

Our suburban was in the shop.  My wife was in a panic because her Mother and our three children (6 passengers all wearing seat belts)all needed to ride in one car to a family function - 1970 (or a 1974 would work) Cadillac to the rescue.  You don't need a new cam for that.

If you do buy a cam the best place IMO is Maximum Torque Specialties in CA (aka as MTS) google them.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Ville,
If you are seriously asking that question I would suggeswt you do it on a forum with people who have had experience in doing just that. I suggest the Modified Chapter http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/
or the Cadillac Power Forum   http://www.cadillacpower.com/forum/index.php?sid=665416e13b15fedc2d01da3caba0bede.
There are a lot of folks there who would be able to give you specific information.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

If you do it MTS is the place to go.  They have quality cams with proven in these Cadillac engine grinds.   I have heard that the stuff places like Summit sells is sometimes poor quality and is often say a big block Ford or Chev grind just transferred to the Cadillac stick. 

The 74 472 is a bit of a unique motor.   It was the only year of this family of engines that used a true flat top piston.  What made it an oddball was to drop the compression in 71 they kept the same small chamber heads but put a huge dish in the pistons on both the 472 and 500.   Perhaps they were thinking the compression ban would be lifted so they didn't want to re design the head?   Anyway for 74 they apparently gave up and designed a new large chamber head which meant a typical slight dish piston for the 500 and a flat top for the 472.   Since that was the last year for the 472 it turned out to be the only year for that combo.    I'm not sure how that relates to possible performance but I'm sure Marty at MTS or the guys at cadillac power can tell you. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

All the above being true, The '74 is a large (read 5400 pounds) car, and the "large chamber (heads) 472 was used for just one year and proved slightly under powered.  Emissions were really taking their toll on power, so the next year all full sized cars had the 500 inch motor.
To answer your question regarding just a cam change, I pulled the 425 out of my '79 Paris (Coupe deVille conversion) and it now has a large chamber, flat top piston (at zero deck height) with an MTS #5 cam. It idles flawlessly, and performance is outstanding.
That said, in your car it is doubtful that there would be a noticeable difference in performance.  If you are after an increase in performance I might suggest waiting and when your motor needs "freshening up" switch to a 500 with a few of the "goodies) such as high(er) compression pistons and a #5 MTS cam.  That is the motor I have in my '76 Coupe deVille, and in comparison to my stock motored (500) 75 Coupe, there is a marked improvement.
Before you do anything however, I might suggest you contact MTS and get a copy of their "Big Inch Cadillac" book.  Read it and become more familiar with all the options and limitations.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-