News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bein' paranoid... ignition advance at idle. :)

Started by JVA, September 20, 2015, 01:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JVA

I have my ignition set to 5 degrees BTDC with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged. With the advance plugged in, advance jumps to 31 degrees. Is this normal, or is my vacuum advance canister is weak and excessively advancing timing? 31 degrees at idle seems quite, well, advanced. :)

Much thanks!

Bobby B

You need to specify the year, model, engine, etc…..
                                                                 Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Philippe M. Ruel

+1 with Bobby. Depending on brand/year/model/engine, vacuum line has to be plugged to "full vacuum" (intake manifold/carb base) or to carb "timed vacuum" plug. To both on some dual advance systems.

The former gives too much vacuum (and advance) at idle if the advance unit is supposed to be plugged to the latter.
1952 60 Special in France.

R Schroeder

My 78 is 37 BTDC at idle, with vacuum advance connected.
This is a factory setting. Again they would need to know which car you are talking about.

James Landi

Seems normal... you should have about 17# of vacuum at the manifold at idle  (again may vary some but that's typical for a V8)  less vacuum, or fluctuating, or jittery vacuum indicates possible programs.  Newer models had vacuum advance shutoffs (as mentioned in prior posts)... and the cutoff devices were tuned to engine speed.  IMHO, I enjoy the direct vacuum advance set up to the manifold.  The throttle always seems (to me) to be very crisp.   Happy day, James

Jason Edge

Engine, Vacuum and Centrifugal ignition advance has always been one of my areas of interest on the pre-electronic ignition cars as the total Engine + vacuum + centrifugal advance can seem confusing, however, not too hard to understand if you dig into it a bit.  Lucky for the Cadillac LaSalle Club Members John Washburn did the digging and presented this info in a concise easy to follow manner in the Jan & Feb 2014 Self Starter magazine which I keep a reference to on our 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Help Page (www.help.6364cadillac.com).  It really is going to depend to your year, body style, engine.

Here is our entry, in part, referencing John's excellent 2 article on the 63/64 Chapter site:

Understanding the basics of max vacuum and centrifugal advance, total advance, manifold vs ported vacuum, and how it all works to make your engine run smoothly and efficiently is a complex topic, but have to say that John Washburn's 2 parts look at this subject in the January and February 2014 Issues of the CLC Self-Starter magazine provides an excellent overview.

In Part 1 in the January 2014 Self Starter, he covers vacuum advance includes the part # for the 1956 to 1963, and 1965 to 1966 Vacuum Advance (part # 111 6168 in groups 2.410) but skips over the 1964 one year only vacuum advance (part # 111 6237).

In Part 2 in the February 2014 Self Starter he covers all 3 elements of ignition advance including engine timing, vacuum advance and centrifugal/mechanical advance and how they affect performance. Both Part 1 and Part 2 include charts and stats and illustrations up through 1962 which is applicable to our cars since the 1963 distributor and advance where used for previous years.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

TJ Hopland

We will have to see what year he has.   

I think a lot of the 425's (77-79) ran direct manifold vac so that could be normal.  Many other years in the emissions era (66+) had some sort for thermal switch that switched between manifold vac source and a 'timed' or 'ported' source on the carb depending on conditions.  Some years in that era had other do dads to alter the vac signal like 70-72? had the speed sensor things.    Its fairly common for people to run direct manifold for the distributor and many times it does work well that way.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

JVA

Um, yeah, I can see how the specific model could be important. Oops.

It's a '67 429 in a Fleetwood 75. The FSM says 5 degrees at idle with vacuum unplugged - that's right. I was just curious if 31 degrees with vacuum was normal.