News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

power steering box

Started by gene harl, September 23, 2015, 12:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gene harl

Hi guys,,,, has anyone  got some slick idea on how to install the Teflon sealing rings with out shearing  them... this is on a 59 cad  Saginaw steering box...  I am  on  kit number 2 ,, having  wrecked number 1 ,,  any help would be app...
    Gene Harl.....   CLC22406

TJ Hopland

Are they sort of a hard plastic sort of thing?  And they need to stretch over something or compress to fit into a slot?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

gene harl

they look like Teflon to me,,  they have to be stretched to  install and  they   do not  shrink in to the grove , there is no room to get a   ring compressor in there.. if you push it in it shears the ring...  what to do???
   Gene     CLC22406

J. Gomez

Gene,

I’ve send you PM with a link of a commercial site with Saginaw steering box rebuilt instructions, I believed it may be applicable to yours.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

gene harl

thanks J.     ,,, that's very interesting  article, but they just say put a little oil on it and put it  togetter..... it don't work that way for me... I will try lots of STP  next...
thanks again ....   Gene        clc22406

Bob Schuman

Gene,
In my industrial experience some years ago we had a control valve piston that used stiff black plastic piston rings, sounds similar to what you are dealing with. Our solution was to heat the rings in oil to soften them and allow them to stretch over the piston and into the grooves. That's where my memory fails, but I suppose we let the rings cool and shrink into the grooves, as it also had no way to use a ring compressor. I also
don't recall what temperature we heated the rings to.

Before trying this with your good rings, I suggest trying it with any rings not yet broken from your first kit, to see if my suggestion has any merit.
Bob Schuman
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

gene harl

thanks  Bob ,,    I'll try it... good idea,, might work    ...
   Gene             clc 22406

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I was actually thinking that.... Had work done on my dad's plane a couple of weeks ago. Has a press fit rod. Stuck the rod in the dreezer for an hour and the receiving end in a toaster oven for an hour at 450. Had about 5 seconds of working time. Slid in nice and easy. 30 seconds later you would have needed a press to get it out.
Cool those rings for an hour then try. If the box is off the car stick it in the oven (wives love that).
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

savemy67

Hello Gene,

This is going to sound unorthodox, but in addition to warming the rings in warm power steering fluid (not hot) or warm water, try using a condom over the valve body.  Be sure to remove all traces of the condom after the rings are installed.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

David Greenburg

If you wind up needing another kit, I've got one that I got from a dealer 25 years ago that is complete except for the adjusting screw and any seal for that screw.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

bpowell

They have similar things in today's automatics, and have resizer sleeves to compress them back down.

you might get some shim stock-.010 maybe- and a couple hose clamps, and make your own resizer. wrap the shim stock around the seals and clamp it with the hose clamps for awhile.
Remove the clamps and install.
Bill

gene harl

hot oil, hose clamps, and lots of stp works... GOT IT...
thanks for all the help guys........ Gene..    clc22406