News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Slight delay in shift from 1st to 2nd gear 1957 Cadillac

Started by Cadillac Jack 82, September 24, 2015, 10:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Jack 82

Guys:

My Cadillac seems to have a slight delay/lag when shifting from 1st gear into 2nd gear.  Its not rough nor does it slap but its like it lags a bit then goes into 2nd.  Is this an adjustment that needs to be made or is my first gear showing signs of issues?  I have no issues from 2nd-4th and its more of a minor annoyance than a "Oh my god wtf is wrong with my car" situation.  Perhaps this is the nature of a Hydramatic? 
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Roger Zimmermann

Do you feel that delay when cold or warm? I have 3 cars with that kind of transmission. When cold, the shifting from 2 to 3 is not nice; when warm the shifting is OK. On the other side, the shift from 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 is seamless, cold or warm.
Depending of the condition of your transmission, (overhauled or not) the seals from the front unit coupling may be old and leaking, preventing the quick filling for that coupling. If it's the case, you should also experience a delay from 3 to 4.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Walter Youshock

I agree.  I think what you're feeling is the 2-3 shift.  There's a lot of internal switching going on between second and third.

TV rod adjustment is critical on these cars and a real pain to tweak perfectly. 

Here's the million dollar question:  do you have the shop manual????
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

TJ Hopland

I just had a 57 rebuilt.   It was apparently a fairly low mile original according to the shop.  The shifting didn't change a whole lot after the rebuild, we had it done because of external leaks.  Shop said it was overdue and if we had kept driving it we would have had hard part damage.   Before and after the 1-2 shift was not really noticeable even if you were looking for it.  2-1 was very noticeable.  It felt like you were manually downshifting, you heard it and felt it.  After the rebuild if you were paying attention you could still feel it but most of the time you don't notice. 2-3 smoothness depended on how hard you were on the gas.  Before the rebuild sometimes it was pretty abrupt almost to the point of chirping the tires.  After the rebuild its still the most noticeable shift but it really does not stand out.  3-4 didn't change, under normal driving you don't really notice it.   Moderate sudden acceleration (not to the floor) you more hear the engine rpm change more than feel the up or down shift.   As someone else mentioned the 2-3 shift requires all 4 main elements to change state.  Other shifts like 1-2 and 3-4 only change is the fluid coupling filling or emptying.   

I didn't do any of the adjusting, the shop did it all so I can't give any tips on how to check or do that.   Apparently a really expensive part to replace on these is the forward coupling (thing that looks like a torque converter).   Normally its a rebuildable part but if you have a neglected old trans it can get torn up and has to be replaced.   My shop told me the last one they did took several weeks to find and cost close to $2000 on its own.  I suppose since it was not a typically replaced part back in its day there just were not that many of them around so these days they are just used ones that came out of transmissions.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Cadillac Jack 82

Okay it appears for all intents and purposes the trans is working as it should.  I think this car wasn't driven that much over the past few years.  I drove it to work (60 miles) and it was smooth as butter.  I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic towards the last leg and the transmission shifted the way it was supposed to.  I guess I'm just getting used to my new ride.  I had a 1954 Buick before and I really got used to the Dynaflow way of driving!
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Walter Youshock

Definitely possible it needed to be driven.  I would change the fluid at the least.  So nice these cars have a trans drain plug!!!  Get a bottle of Seafoam trans treatment.  It will help clean off the valves and help the seals. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham