News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fitting Pertronix to my 1962 Coupe

Started by rustytractor, September 27, 2015, 05:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustytractor

To cut a really long and boring story short I tried fitting a Pertronix (#1181) to my '62 390 Coupe to no avail. Tried shimming the magnet ring and adding spacer washers to the base but I got nothing whatsoever. Eventually returned it back to points and it ran fine so I've left the points in at present but want to fit the Pertronix ASAP.

The wiring showed options with/without resistor - I believe that the Cadi has an inline resistor sonwhere in the curcuit which I assume is causing the problem.

Can anyone advice as to the correct wiring procedure to get this to work - if not I've wasted $150 on a Pertronix kit which I can't use.
Too many cars - too little time !!

Dan LeBlanc

Other folks I know of run 12v from the power wire going to the wiper motor. It is live when the key is in the run position. Clip the cloth covered wire (resistor wire) at the coil and tape it off. The other wire will provide the 12v necessary while cranking.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

rustytractor

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on September 27, 2015, 05:15:25 PM
Other folks I know of run 12v from the power wire going to the wiper motor. It is live when the key is in the run position. Clip the cloth covered wire (resistor wire) at the coil and tape it off. The other wire will provide the 12v necessary while cranking.

Sorry for being dense Dan - if I understand correctly you mean disconnect the cloth covered wire (currently twinned with another 12v input) and run an additional ignition switched 12v wire to the positive side of the coil. That means that there would be 2 x 12v inputs to the coil.

Correct ?
Too many cars - too little time !!

62 driver

You need a full 12volts all the time going to the coil when the engine is running.  The easy and shortest way is to use the wiper power.  I left all my wires hooked up and just added a new 12volt from center (I think) wire motor to coil.
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

Scot Minesinger

All the Cadillac from 54 thru 72 that worked on had a resistor, and I'm sure the 1962 Cadillac does as well.  You should use the "with resistor" wiring diagram.  Is it that the with resistor Pertronix wiring diagram with resistor is confusing?  The shop manual will tell you which wire has the resistor and where it might be, generally in the engine bay.  On a 1954 I worked on it was on the firewall as a ballast resistor, and on newer Cadillacs it is a resistor wire section.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Russel,
Follow what Dan has suggested.  Regarding "2 12 volt sources" I assume you mean the two wires now connected to the + side of the coil.  One is from the resistor wire and the other is a full 12 volts from the starter motor intended to give you a full 12 volts for starting. That wire will not hurt anything remaining.
One thing with Pertronics installations is be sure and follow their instructions regarding clearances. It is important.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

62 driver

I can only speak for the 61-62 Cadillac. They have a resistor wire setups.  I have installed 2 pertronix 1181 model setups. One in a 62 and one in a 61. I have only used 1181 and know nothing about any others the models.  The 1181 must have a full 12 volts all the time to run at its best. They say min is 9.6 volts. The resistor wire gives you about 8.2 volts. That's why you need to run a wire of full 12 volts. The easiest is from the wiper motor. Understand you blow a wiper fuse your car might not start. Dave
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

JVA

I used the Ignitor 3 (71181) on my '67 with a 429 and had zero issues.

I went a little OCD and tapped the ignition switch at the connector under the dash, removing the resistor wire and running a new wire from that connector all the way to the coil*. Figured as much fresh new wire as possible was a good thing.

You need 12v for the coil, and 12v for the actual Pertronix module. Both need to be ignition switched. The Pertronix module needs a good ground to the engine. The coil ground is connected to the module. As others said, the air gaps are important.

* This is actually a lie. I used the 12v switched to control a Cooper-Bussman PRM mounted to the hood hinge bracket. The PRM switches battery power to a small fuse panel that controls the choke, coil and Pertronix module.

(This is immediately after install, it's much cleaner now :) )