News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Why not a show on grass?

Started by hearn, September 27, 2015, 09:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hearn

I may be wrong but it seems that almost all if not all Grand National car shows take place on an asphalt parking lot.  I'm sure this is the most expedient plan but with the number of concours declining each year, it would seem that plenty of beautiful grassy venues are available for the choosing.  Any thoughts?  Jim

Daddio

Three of our best attended yearly shows here in Ontario are on grass.
One is in Lakeview Park in Oshawa, a beautifully treed area on the shores of Lake Ontario, the other is in Cobourg in Victoria Park, also treed with a public beach and one in Bothwell in their community park.
The Oshawa show was recently moved from the parking lot of GM headquarters where there was no shade except in the shadow of the buildings, so most cars were left to bake unattended. 
Nothing is more relaxing than sitting in the shade on a hot August day showing your car and explaining it to inquisitive spectators.
Mike

1956 Thunderbird
SOLD - 1959 Eldorado Biarritz

Smedly

Cobourg and Oshawa, both very nice locations and good show.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

76eldo

Personally I'd like to see the GN's held in a scenic and /or historic location.   

The Packard Club always has their National meet at a park or an estate somewhere in a beautiful location. Their rules state that cars have to be driven to the location. Trailers are left at the host hotel parking lot.

Many of the activities during the week are driving tours as well.

Coming to a GN and parking your car and never moving it for 5 days and holding the show in the Hotel parking lot seems to be the way a lot of us do the GN.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

hearn

Quote from: 76eldo on September 28, 2015, 10:51:53 AM
Personally I'd like to see the GN's held in a scenic and /or historic location.   

The Packard Club always has their National meet at a park or an estate somewhere in a beautiful location. Their rules state that cars have to be driven to the location. Trailers are left at the host hotel parking lot.

Many of the activities during the week are driving tours as well.

Coming to a GN and parking your car and never moving it for 5 days and holding the show in the Hotel parking lot seems to be the way a lot of us do the GN.

Brian

The CLC should be doing it like the Packard folks do.  Wonder if we can expect a change in the future?

Dan LeBlanc

The Lake George Grand National was on the front lawn of the hotel.  Loved it.  Fantastic location.

Next year is in Vegas and the year after is in VA, both to be at the host hotels in metropolitan areas.

We well have to see what 2018 brings.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I think many appreciate the convenience of the show being held at the location of the host hotel.

Such an arrangement also helps provide better security/safety to show vehicles where parking access is limited to participants.

While it is generally more enjoyable to have a grass show field, finding locations with both the accommodation and a sufficiently large grass area will probably not be easy.   

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jason Edge

Lake George was indeed the best of both worlds - convenience of being at the hotel and the spectacular view it had with cars wrapping around the hotel mostly on the grass.
Kinda hard to beat this view....

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Jason Edge

And another from Lake George for kicks and grins

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Greg Powers

I second the idea of security. If you hold a show in a park or public area the cars would have to be secured at another location prior to the show. There is enough confusion already getting cars into proper spots without adding this possibility for disorganization. As to Lake George, confusion and anxiety are two words that come to mind in regards to the placement of cars for judging. The other aspect of a Grand National is about the people, even more than the cars. Having a large host hotel makes the experience so much more enjoyable. And of course lastly, we have yet to learn how to control the weather. I have a feeling many of our owners would not want to display their cars is a marsh (often the condition of grassy lawns after several days of rain).  And as a judge I really don't like crawling around in the damp or wet grass. -Greg     
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

hearn

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on September 28, 2015, 01:42:31 PM
I think many appreciate the convenience of the show being held at the location of the host hotel.

Such an arrangement also helps provide better security/safety to show vehicles where parking access is limited to participants.

While it is generally more enjoyable to have a grass show field, finding locations with both the accommodation and a sufficiently large grass area will probably not be easy.

With hotels, lodges, etc throughout the United States to choose from, finding ones with a great setting (not a parking lot) does not seem an overwhelming task.  Let's not let convenience dictate the event.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: hearn on September 28, 2015, 04:27:38 PM
With hotels, lodges, etc throughout the United States to choose from, finding ones with a great setting (not a parking lot) does not seem an overwhelming task.  Let's not let convenience dictate the event.

I have no dog in this race; only speculating on possible explanations.

I really have no idea what properties are available that fit the bill for the number of rooms needed, facility requirements, parking space etc.

In any case, it is usually the host region that makes that call.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

hearn

Quote from: Greg Powers on September 28, 2015, 03:24:10 PM
I second the idea of security. If you hold a show in a park or public area the cars would have to be secured at another location prior to the show. There is enough confusion already getting cars into proper spots without adding this possibility for disorganization. As to Lake George, confusion and anxiety are two words that come to mind in regards to the placement of cars for judging. The other aspect of a Grand National is about the people, even more than the cars. Having a large host hotel makes the experience so much more enjoyable. And of course lastly, we have yet to learn how to control the weather. I have a feeling many of our owners would not want to display their cars is a marsh (often the condition of grassy lawns after several days of rain).  And as a judge I really don't like crawling around in the damp or wet grass. -Greg   

How do the Packard folks do it?  There is certainly just as many nice Packards as Cadillacs at this type of event.

76eldo

Security is not an issue at all.

Regarding the Packard Nationals, everything is based at the host hotel all week.

They just pick a scenic location within 20-30
Minutes of the host hotel to have the judging meet. It's always at a nice location.
I've driven Packards from the 30's 40's and 50's over the years including a 53 Caribbean this year belonging to my brother in law. He had three cars in the show.

The park they chose was not open to the public on this particular day.

Never had any security problems.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

k8096

The Cad/LaS National meet at Hammersmith Farm, Newport, RI in 1982 was on grass, as was the 1990 or 1991 Grand National in Cincinnati.     

The Packard meet this year in Reading, PA was at a small historic estate.  I'm thinking there were about 100 cars.  The Cad/Las meets get 300 plus cars, so the that excludes some intimate settings that are available due to the number of spaces needed.     

It's all about findings a site with good drainage.   It's rained the past 2 years on Friday of Hershey week, but the grass show field on Saturday (on a former golf course) was manageable.   
J Gehring

hearn

Quote from: k8096 on September 29, 2015, 09:15:24 PM
The Cad/LaS National meet at Hammersmith Farm, Newport, RI in 1982 was on grass, as was the 1990 or 1991 Grand National in Cincinnati.     

The Packard meet this year in Reading, PA was at a small historic estate.  I'm thinking there were about 100 cars.  The Cad/Las meets get 300 plus cars, so the that excludes some intimate settings that are available due to the number of spaces needed.     

It's all about findings a site with good drainage.   It's rained the past 2 years on Friday of Hershey week, but the grass show field on Saturday (on a former golf course) was manageable.   

1982, 1990 or 91.  That's a few years back but at least we know they can do it.

Large wineries are one option.  They usually have the grass and the drainage.  Also, they like having that many visitors.  And by the way, a good portion of GNs are West of the Rockies and rain isn't a huge problem for lots of the year.

k8096

Almost forgot, the 1984 National meet at Greenfield Village was obviously on grass too.    I still remember the tour through the Clark Street assembly plant that year.     
J Gehring

Dan LeBlanc

I, for one, like the Grand Nationals the way they are done.  My next one will be 2017.  I'll have traveled over 800mi to attend, so it will be nice to pull the car off the trailer, into its assigned spot for the week, and leave it to go enjoy the tours and socializing with friends.  One thing I like about having a show on asphalt is the fact that I don't have to dust the car every 30 minutes.  My first time at Hershey was a sunny day, and, with a black Fleetwood, I found myself dusting the car every 30 minutes - especially being parked next to the gravel footpath near the food vendors.

In Lake George, with the car parked on the asphalt, I had to wipe off the dew in the morning and that was it.  On show day, when I moved onto the field, constantly dusting again.

Nothing worse than dust on a huge black car.
Dan LeBlanc

hearn

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on October 01, 2015, 07:58:26 AM
I, for one, like the Grand Nationals the way they are done.  My next one will be 2017.  I'll have traveled over 800mi to attend, so it will be nice to pull the car off the trailer, into its assigned spot for the week, and leave it to go enjoy the tours and socializing with friends.  One thing I like about having a show on asphalt is the fact that I don't have to dust the car every 30 minutes.  My first time at Hershey was a sunny day, and, with a black Fleetwood, I found myself dusting the car every 30 minutes - especially being parked next to the gravel footpath near the food vendors.

In Lake George, with the car parked on the asphalt, I had to wipe off the dew in the morning and that was it.  On show day, when I moved onto the field, constantly dusting again.

Nothing worse than dust on a huge black car.

It sounds like a mountain being made out of a mole hill.  I have been associated with lots of big dark cars at many different grassy venues and never saw such dust drama.  Dust mops work wonders and it seems like a small sacrifice for so much more pleasant a show.  I agree that I would avoid the gravel footpath whether it was by a grassy field or an asphalt parking lot.

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: hearn on October 01, 2015, 12:52:24 PM
It sounds like a mountain being made out of a mole hill.

Just as was bringing up this whole topic.

I have a differing opinion and say why I like an asphalt show setting and you say it's making a mountain out of a molehill? 

We do have post Grand National surveys that attendees are encouraged to complete.  Last I heard, people were pretty satisfied with venue choices.
Dan LeBlanc