News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

472 Rebuild

Started by Golf Caddy, September 28, 2015, 09:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golf Caddy

Hey guys, rebuilding my 472 basically from scratch.  Since a lot of parts came to me in pails, need some help identifying.

TJ Hopland

Looks like vacuum fitting, most likely a hardware store replacement for the port in the right rear of the intake.   Original was more of a T sort of thing.   If you need more than one thing connected a plastic T in the hose works fine.    I think what is usually connected there is the line through the firewall for the parking brake and climate control and the line to the thermal switch in the air cleaner assembly.

Watch out for the bolts for the cam sprocket and fuel pump.   Fuel pump bolts are slightly longer and if you put em in the cam they will drag. 

Weld a couple 1/4-20 nuts to the inside of the small holes in the timing cover for the water pump.  They are easy to strip but the nuts will make it a lot more difficult to strip. 

Don't trust most brands of timing sets.  Cloyes is the brand that so far has held up the quality.   They make several styles, all are fine for a stock engine.

Watch out with oil pumps.  For a long time Melling was the only one making one and they had a flaw in the machining that caused the bypass valve to stick open.   Not sure if this has changed now or not but to be safe a lot of us bought them from MTS (500cid.com) where they checked them and repaired them as needed.   MTS can get you what ever you need for that engine including lots of the little things.  They have new parts they have designed and manufactured as well as the more commonly available stuff.  They also have some used stuff.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

TJ,

Agree with everything, but I think you meant oil pick up and cam sprocket bolts interchange.  Oil tube pick up bolts are too long for sprocket anchoring on cam.  The fuel pump bolts are not interchangeable with cam sprocket on my 472.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Scot Minesinger

There is a lot of experience with the 472/500 engines on this forum, so please do not hesitate to ask anything.  Many have been through the remove engine, deliver to rebuild, reinstall, and start it up process. 

If the engine is out now, this is a good time to replace and clean up things.  There are so many "might as wells" it is hard to stop and you are only limited by your imagination.  If you are planning to replace your front to back steel fuel lines, your steel rake lines and your steel trans cooler lines(get 3/8" not 5/16") engine out is definitely the time.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Well, I was limited by Mr. Visa.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Scot Minesinger

Jeff,

You coined the phrase "Might as well", and you did some of them, and that was the inspiration for the last post.