News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Parking brake cable 1946 Cadillac

Started by Guus, September 29, 2015, 12:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guus

Hi!

I'm new here.

I'm from the Netherlands and currently staying in California.
I bought a 1946 Cadillac series 62 4 door sedan and I'm gonna ship it back with me!

Anyways, I'm looking for the parking brake cable that goes from the left rear wheel to the right rear wheel.
I looked online but I can't find anything! Is there someone who can help me out!?

I'm currently staying in Sacramento area!

Thanks!

Guus

Steve Passmore

I don't know what capabilities you have or people you know in your home country Guus but I gave up trying to find brake cables decades ago. Back in the 70s I started getting them made myself. We had a company here who would make them to order. They eventually ran out of the US type fittings and would just supply the cables. From then on I had to work out how to make them myself. Been doing it ever since.  If you can't find any when you get home send me a PM and I'll talk you through what I do.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Jeff Hansen

Guus,

Just to be certain we are talking about the correct part, you are speaking of the metal brake cable that runs from one of the rear wheels up to approximately where the driveshaft enters the transmission and then back to the other rear wheel, correct?

A handful of years ago, a gentleman named George Martin from Lebanon, PA could remake almost any parking brake cable there was.  I don't know if he is still around or still making cables.  The last phone number I have for him is 717-273-9502.  Might be worth a call to see if he is still making cables and/or if he could tell you any specifics on how to make them,

Hope this helps you!
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Bill Ingler #7799

I second Jeff`s recommendation on George Martin. He made cables for both my 47 and 41. He always had a spot at Hershey.   Bill

Guus

Thanks a lot!

I found something online at Kanter Auto Products:
https://www.kanter.com/productdetail.aspx?DeptNo=1100&MakeName=Cadillac&MakeYear=1946&CategoryID=16&ProductCode=40&Router=Catalog

What do you guys think? I called and they told me it's the one that I need. ( number 01159D)

Guus

Jeff Hansen

Guus,

Without a photo of the actual part, there is no way to know for sure.  If you're comfortable with what they are telling you, go for it!

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Paul Phillips

Guys
I would suggest you measure the cable sheath on your existing cable(s), then call Kanter and have them measure what they have to sell. If they match, it will likely be ok.  If the length is different by more than an inch, I would say they don't have the solution.

I bought cables for my 41 from George Martin, but that was a couple years ago. His work was accurate, also he added zerk fittings on the cables to make them easier to lube.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guus,
The MPL shows it as a ONE piece cable 131 1/4" long. That's what you need. Most of these vendors have VERY bad interchange info & knowledge.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Guus

Thanks!
What does MPL stand for?
I'm from the Netherlands so I don't really know what that means?

I called Kanter twice, and one time I told them the part number and asked them if thats the right one for my car, and the other time I called them and told them what car I had and asked what part I needed. Both times they told me that should be the right one.

Only problem is: I'm shipping the car back to the Netherlands in two weeks from now, and they told me it takes 3 weeks before I get the cable.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

MPL = Cadillac Master Parts list. It's the book used in the parts department at the dealers. What part # are you giving Kantor?
Just flat ask them how long is the cable? Kantor & other vendors buy most of their stock from other suppliers. Maybe someone knows who that supplier is. The Cadillac #'s are, Group # 4.3125, Part # 1444367. Hope this helps.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Guus

Thanks Bob!

The number i gave them was the number they have on their website.
I'm gonna call again and ask them how long the cable is.