News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1975 Eldorado Convertible Hood Release

Started by Ronnie, October 04, 2015, 10:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnie

I am trying to help a friend with an original extremely low mileage 1975 Eldorado Convertible.  The hood release cable handle broke and we replaced with a new cable and handle that is installed properly. However, when you pull the handle, someone has to be on the outside to assist in releasing the hood.  I had this issue some years back on another car, and I forgot what we fixed to make this work.  This car has never been exposed to weather and there is no corrosion on the hood hinges.  The cable is tight and we do not believe it is a cable issue.  Ideas?
Ronnie Hux  CLC#22548
1974 Eldorado ELC
2009 CTS 3.6 AWD

TJ Hopland

The 'pop up' spring is likely just tired from spending most of its life compressed.    They don't seem to be available new.   Some report having some success putting some sort of spacer in to make it compress more.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Ronnie,
I have a couple of the NOS hood "pop up" springs. You can PM me.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Agree, it is a spring issue.  Also lubricate all the hood hinge rivets and pivots while you are at it.  Those create a lot of binding at the near hood closed stage, if not lubricated.  You will know if this is a problem if you have to assist the hood closing when you drop it (gravity does the work) from about 6" open.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty