News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

de ville convertible 67 engine

Started by Caddi67, October 05, 2015, 02:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddi67

Dear All,
I have import to Europe Czech republic de ville convertible 67 last year and I am very happy with this car.
It seems the car does not have an original engine. The original one should be 429 cu.in. and my engine is equipped with the air filter from the 472 cu.in. engine. May be somebody can help me to realize if the engine is original and what type is in my car. I have found the engine number F7297225. I cannot find the chasis number of the car, which should be the same.
I have technical brochure for this car, which was available in one US e-shop, but there are not all info I need to know. May be somebody can help me to get some more technical info or some other brochure.
Thank you for your attention.
Jan Luhan, Prague, Czech republic

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jan,
Since the 67 with a 429 engine came with a Rochester Quadrajet Carburetor, the same carburetor used on ALL the 472's, it is very possible that the only thing changed was the air cleaner.
I might suggest taking a couple of pictures of the motor and we can readily identify whether it is a 429  or not.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

bcroe

Quote from: Caddi67 on October 05, 2015, 02:47:36 PM
Dear All,
I have import to Europe Czech republic de ville convertible 67 last year and I am very happy with this car.
It seems the car does not have an original engine. The original one should be 429 cu.in. and my engine is equipped with the air filter from the 472 cu.in. engine. May be somebody can help me to realize if the engine is original and what type is in my car. Jan Luhan, Prague, Czech republic   

Check your transmission.  The tag should be numbered 67AA and there should be 2 terminals on the left side. 
A 68 and later would fit a 472/500/425, a different engine pattern (BOP).  And later usually have only 1
terminal on the side.  Bruce Roe

savemy67

Hello Jan,

Vítejte na fóru.

Does your car have air conditioning?  If so, stand in front of the car with the hood open.  If the air conditioning compressor is toward the front of the engine, about mid-way between the valve covers, the engine is most likely a 472/500.  If the air conditioning compressor is toward the front of the engine, close to the passenger side valve cover, the engine is most likely a 429.  As Greg mentioned, if you can post some pictures, someone can positively identify your engine.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Scot Minesinger

Here is a picture of what Chris wrote about.  This is a picture of a section of a 1967 Cadillac DeVille Convertible with the original 429 engine getting a/c charged.  Note the silver colored arm over the valve cover that supports the compressor (picture is passenger side).  If you have a/c and this arm it is a 429 engine, if not and you have a/c, then it is likely a 472.  Send us a picture as Greg wrote and that will be the acid test.  We can tell one a mile away. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Julien Abrahams

There are a couple of other distinct features that distinct the 429 from the 472 like the valve covers, the radiator hose (routing) and a you mentioned, the air cleaner. Take a couple of pics from the engine if you can, then we can help.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

bcroe

One thing that can never be changed on a 429, is the bell housing.  That is why I suggested checking
the trans year on its tag.  In addition a 67 is a switch pitch transmission.  That requires a 3 terminal
switch mounted by the carb and tied to the throttle linkage.  2 of those wires go directly down to the
trans.  68 and later have a 2 wire switch with one wire going down to the trans.  Bruce Roe

Caddi67

Dear all, first thank you for the answers. I have checked the aircondition and it seems it is 429 and just the carburetor and air cleaner is changed from 472. I will try to add some photos. What I could not find is the tag on transmission and also there should be the win code on chasis? Can you help me to find it?
With BR Jan

Caddi67

some more photos of the engine.

Scot Minesinger

Sure looks like a 429 and NOT a 472

John Bryan #21196

I may be mistaken, but I believe your block number and your VIN should match. This will tell you if the engine is 429 and original.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

A picture IS worth 1000 words.  It IS a 429 regardless of anything else.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

savemy67

Hello Jan,

Looks like you have a 429 in your engine bay.  In one of the photos, the driver's side of the carburetor shows the three terminal stator/kick-down switch.  This switch was a one year only design, and indicates that your carburetor and transmission are most likely also from '67.  The air cleaner is from '68 or later.

The cruise control box does not look like the one on my '67 (see pictures), and the engine looks like it has been repainted the wrong color.  What do you know about the history of your car?

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter

Caddi67

Dear all,
thank you for attention.
Yes the cruise controll seems not the original one, the speedometer shows wrong speed I think because of different gears in cruise control.
To my regret I do not know anything about the history. I have just original US docs. Do you think is possible to find something about history?
What I would like to know is where should be a chasis number, I cannot find it. Where is it on your car Christopher? I have found the tag, which is by my opinion the right one. All info matches with the car (year, colors etc.) I have also found the number on the engine. But not the chasis number. And pls.tell me also where should be the tag on the transmission?
Thank you
Jan

bcroe

Quote from: Caddi67
Yes the cruise controll seems not the original one, the speedometer shows wrong speed I think because of different gears in cruise control.

What I would like to know is where should be a chasis number, I cannot find it. Where is it on your car Christopher? I have found the tag, which is by my opinion the right one. All info matches with the car (year, colors etc.) I have also found the number on the engine. But not the chasis number. And pls.tell me also where should be the tag on the transmission?       Jan 

The trans tag should be about half way back on the right side; 17 inches from the front.  If its
gone, there will just be a rivet. 

Usually cruise controls have a 1:1 ratio; I'd suspect the trans gears are wrong.  If the odometer
reads OK, the problem is in the head unit.  It is in fact possible to re gear at the trans, so an
English speedo reads  KM & KM/HR, I have done the reverse (on my PHOTOBUCKET).  Bruce Roe. 

Scot Minesinger

If you want to make the cruise control work, then you should get the correct unit and install it, then check speedometer.  I agree that cruise should always be a 1:1 ratio.  There could be slipping, missing teeth in the unit you have now.

If you are not going to use the cruise control, and you do not plan to fix it, I would by a speedo cable that goes from trans right to speedometer.

I restored a 1967 Cadillac cruise control and the shop manual is quite detailed and helpful.  The things wrong were dash switch was bad and under hood unit was bad.  Replaced them with good re-built units and the cruise worked.  That green dash light that turns on when cruise is engaged is so cool looking.  I think that the 1967 Cadillac interior/dash is one of the nicest.

savemy67

Hello Jan,

As Bruce indicated, the transmission tag is located on the right (passenger) side of the transmission case.  According to the '67 shop manual, the chassis number is located on the right (passenger) side frame rail, on the top surface of the frame rail, between the suspension and the radiator.  There are hoses, wires, splash guards, and components in the way, so it may be difficult to see the number.  Also, years of accumulated dirt and grime may need to be removed.

Your original post indicated that you imported the car from the USA to the Czech Republic.  Did you do the transaction yourself or did you use an agent or broker?  I suggest you contact the person or agency from whom the car was purchased, and ask them if they have more information on the ownership history of the car.  Also, look for clues in the car.  Is there any old paperwork (registration slips, insurance cards) in the glove box?  Are there any old windshield stickers stuck to the glass?  Are there any other scraps of paper (old menus, matchbooks, receipts) that might tell you where the car has been?  Sometimes a copy of the build sheet was left in the car - usually in the springs of the seat bottoms or seat backs.  You can remove the seats and pull out the carpet to see if any information is hidden in these locations.  If you do not find anything, at least you can give the interior of the car a thorough cleaning.  Good luck.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter

Caddi67

Hallo Christopher,
thank you very much I have found it!!!!! The shop manual I have is mostly for eldorado and the things are different. So now I know that the chassis number is the same as engine number. So it should be original. The tag on transmission is not readable but it is there on the place you told me.
I have found the car on some web sites but then I ask the agent to import to Czech republic. I asked the agent but he do not want to spend the time. His work is already done. I have original docs with the last registration on Robert Baird Shearer, 9030 ST RD 46, MIMS FL 32754. I have sent him the letter but no answer. Do you have some idea how find the contact?

Scot and Bruce, thank you for info, I have found the right one on ebay so it will také a few days to Czech and then I will see, I will follow the instruction you gave me.
Jan

Gene Beaird

And just FYI, that's not a 68 air cleaner.  I'm thinking maybe a 70 or later, based on the heat-riser valve on the top of the snorkel.  Not that that matters much here. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

bcroe

Quote from: Caddi67The tag on transmission is not readable but it is there on the place you told me.

Scot and Bruce, thank you for info, I have found the right one on ebay so it will také a few days to
Czech and then I will see, I will follow the instruction you gave me.   Jan   

That trans tag is STAMPED.  Even if the paint is scraped off, you should be able to read the digits. 
The first 2 on the left should be the year.  And do check that there are 2 wires on the opposite
side, connected to the switch by the carb.  Lots of people neglect such things, and lose performance. 
Bruce Roe