News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fuel pump upgrade(?) for a '62...

Started by Edward Kenny, October 10, 2015, 11:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward Kenny

Recently, the fuel pump in my '62 failed on me, and I was told by the mechanic that the valves inside were the reason for the failure. (This happened twice). Since I like to take the car on road trips now and again, these recent fuel pump experiences got me to thinking about installing an electric fuel pump as many of my fellow CLC members have done.

I could not help but figure that perhaps after installing an electric pump back by the gas tank, one could gut the mechanical pump (making it now a "dummy"pump) and run a tube through it (inside the pump casing) to direct the gas to the carburetor. This would preserve the originality of the engine but deliver fuel in a much more reliable way. Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks in advance for the due diligence.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Failures are common with the replacement pump made by a certain brand whose name I cannot mention.

However there is a very easy fix for which the pump need not even be removed from the car:

When the cover and gasket are removed from the top of the pump, there are two nickel sized discs and one of them pops off every so often causing the car not to run at anything above idle. It just needs to be cemented in with some marine epoxy and you'll be good to go for a good long time.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

Agree with Eric, fix the fuel pump.  It is OK to name a brand that has failed on you, you are just telling the truth about an experience you suffered.  Truthful stories are low liability risk.  An electric fuel pump is not a good option.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty