News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Transmission Speedometer Gears for THM 325 Transmission

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, October 10, 2015, 01:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

A week or so ago, I posted a note about the speedometer gear for my transmission, which I found at TCI Inc on the web. The part # is GM 880006 29T Green. The large driven gear that slips onto the shaft is not available. I had my transmission worked on this week locally to correct a leak, and while the guy was writing me up ($940.89), I asked if he had any source for the driven gears.
He grinned and went into the back room and came back out with a shoe box full of used gears. And, there was a bright green one lying on top. I pointed to it and said, "That's the right color and shape. Can I buy it?"
He hemmed and hawed for awhile, and finally smiled and said, "You know you can't get these anymore." And I agreed with him, and repeated that I'd like to purchase the gear. "How much?"
He thought and thought, and the fact that I'd just paid him nearly a thousand bucks must have gone through his mind." Finally, he said, "Oh, ten-fifteen dollars..."
I said, "That's fine. I just paid $21.99 for the smaller gear and nearly twenty dollars in two day postage."
Any way, if you have one of these transmissions with the 1981 Seville/Eldo V-6 engine, you might go to the oldest transmission shop in town and see if you can pry one of these jobbies out of their stash. Don't bother with AAMCO. That's where I tried first. Anyhow, my spare now resides in my glove box.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

bcroe

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on October 10, 2015, 01:06:52 PM
A week or so ago, I posted a note about the speedometer gear for my transmission, which I found at TCI Inc on the web. The part # is GM 880006 29T Green. The large driven gear that slips onto the shaft is not available. I had my transmission worked on this week locally to correct a leak, and while the guy was writing me up ($940.89), I asked if he had any source for the driven gears.
He grinned and went into the back room and came back out with a shoe box full of used gears. And, there was a bright green one lying on top. I pointed to it and said, "That's the right color and shape. Can I buy it?"
He hemmed and hawed for awhile, and finally smiled and said, "You know you can't get these anymore." And I agreed with him, and repeated that I'd like to purchase the gear. "How much?"
He thought and thought, and the fact that I'd just paid him nearly a thousand bucks must have gone through his mind." Finally, he said, "Oh, ten-fifteen dollars..."
I said, "That's fine. I just paid $21.99 for the smaller gear and nearly twenty dollars in two day postage."
Any way, if you have one of these transmissions with the 1981 Seville/Eldo V-6 engine, you might go to the oldest transmission shop in town and see if you can pry one of these jobbies out of their stash. Don't bother with AAMCO. That's where I tried first. Anyhow, my spare now resides in my glove box.   

Great; if you are DRIVING very old cars, better have a lot of spare parts.  Esp the odd ones.  Got
2 boxes of speedo gears here.  If it was impossible to get the right one, you might put in a different
one and use an external gear box to correct the ratio.  Bruce Roe

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Luckily, I was able to get the correct gears on both parts. Having them color coded is a big help. And, a Master Parts Book is a must. Having that # at hand on both the site I found it on and in the parts book alleviated the need for measuring, et al.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville