News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1942 Cadillac Jeager clock repair or restore?

Started by gary griffin, October 10, 2015, 11:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

I am looking  for someone to repair or restore or possibly even convert to Quartz, my 1942 Cadillac dashboard clock.  Since 1942 was the last year for positive ground it would probably be difficult to find a suitable replacement.  I think they are electorally wound and mine wont even wind. No sense in putting it in until it is correct.

garygriffin@Q.com
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Bobby B

Gary,
  Hi. I had mine done by Jerry @ The Clock Works. Beautiful job, works like new. They also do Quartz conversions.  Had mine converted to 12V movement while they were in there. Highly recommended. Hope this Helps!
                                                  Bobby

www.clockwks.com
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Julien Abrahams

I just repaired my clock (Borg, negative ground). In mine the fix was pretty easy: burnt coil. I would suggest to carefully open it, and check the coil. You can rewind this yourself using electro-magnet wire. It takes some time, a lot of patience, but it will most likely work again. Also check the points, if they are badly worn, then I would second Bobby's advice: send it to clockworks to rebuild or convert to Quartz. Usually, the rest of the clock is fine and just needs careful cleaning and lubrication.
Good luck.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Barry M Wheeler #2189

My son-in-law is a master clockmaker. When he gets an auto clock in the shop, he sends it to the guy in WI that advertises in HMN. That should tell you something about the quality of work the guy in Hemmings does. And DON'T lubricate it with WD-40.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bill Ingler #7799

Gary: I use Randy Stebins at R S Gages here in Phoenix. He has rebuilt items for my 47 as well as gages for my 442.  His web site below.   Bill

http://rsgaugeworks.com/

TJ Hopland

Clockworks is in Wisconsin so that could be the one Barry's son in law uses.    I had em do a clock this summer.   Looks and works like new and they did it in a couple days.   Some of the other places I contacted said it could be several weeks.  They do rewind coils when needed and apparently do have quite a stash of parts so they can usually fix just about anything. 

Not all clocks can easily be converted to quartz.  Apparently Borg made a ton of auto clocks over the years and their basic mechanisms didn't change much so those are the ones that have an almost drop in conversion.  Many of the others its a much more custom job because the mechanisms varied a lot more. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bobby B

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on October 11, 2015, 08:09:32 AM
My son-in-law is a master clockmaker. When he gets an auto clock in the shop, he sends it to the guy in WI that advertises in HMN. That should tell you something about the quality of work the guy in Hemmings does. And DON'T lubricate it with WD-40.

Quote from: TJ Hopland on October 11, 2015, 10:18:38 AM
Clockworks is in Wisconsin so that could be the one Barry's son in law uses.    I had em do a clock this summer.   Looks and works like new and they did it in a couple days.   Some of the other places I contacted said it could be several weeks. 

Barry,
That's Jerry @ Clockworks…….Only took a few weeks.
                                Bobby

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH