News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

365 Engine is Pouring Oil Out.

Started by junkyard junky, October 12, 2015, 11:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyard junky

Took the 56 out for a long drive and when stopped and turned off, there is a constant dripping of engine oil. Last for about 20 minutes. Engine was rebuilt last year. I've started the car up numerous times where its stored and it never leaked. Maybe just a little on the oil pan. An old rope seal was used when it was rebuilt. When the leak stops there is about a closed fist size puddle under the car. Bottom front of the transmission and transmission pan is oily. I'm guessing its a bad rope seal? Would anyone else think of something differently? Guessing a neoprene seal is the next thing. Where would be the best place to buy one? Hoping I do not have to pull the engine back out. Thanks!

J. Rutledge

Roger Zimmermann

First check if the bolts at the oil pan are tight enough. I had the same situation recently: 2 years ago, I installed the rubber seals from Best gasket. All was OK until this Spring when I had a major oil loss. I thought that the seal was leaking and began to remove all the parts necessary to perform that job (engine in place). When I began to unscrew the oil pan bolts, some were barely torqued. I'm sure that if I had retorked them correctly, my problem would have disapeared.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

cadman56

Check to see if the oil pressure switch is leaking.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Roadmaster75

Modern replacement "rope" seals are NOT made of the same materials as they were
back in the day.  I believe it was the asbestos content that led to the practice of using something more
"environmentally friendly" as a replacement….but, it doesn't hold up!

Just went through this with a 455 Buick rebuild…. used the rope seal that came with the Fel-Pro
gasket set.  Within 150 miles it wadded itself up in the timing cover and puked
oil in buckets..  Ended up punching out the rope retainer & put a modern neoprene
timing seal in it.  Don't know if you have that option on your motor….

Walter Youshock

Agree.  I tried the rope seal and it was a dismal failure.  Total waste of time, energy and a pan gasket set.

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Jay Friedman

You can buy a modern neoprene seal from Terrill Machine Co., Deleon, Texas.  I have one in my 331 which doesn't leak a drop.  The rope seal can be removed and the neoprene seal installed with the engine in the car.  A nice thing about them is that, unlike a rope seal, you don't have to be particularly skillful when trimming it to fit. 

Another thing you might do when your oil pan is removed is to turn it upside down on a flat surface and make sure the gasket surface is flat.  Sometimes the opposite of what Roger experienced can occur when the bolts are torqued too tightly.  This can distort the gasket surface, resulting in leaks.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

junkyard junky

I'll give  Terrill Machine Co a call tomorrow. Is there seal a custom made seal? Thanks.

J. Rutledge