News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Outdoor storage car cover suggestions

Started by 13912, October 14, 2015, 02:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am forced by construction to have my 74 Eldorado outside until May of next year. Before feeling sorry for me I'm in Southern California & my biggest concerns are birds, tree droppings, wind blown sand , smog/acid rain & the el Nino storms that are supposedly going to pound the area. I've been unable to find a Consumer Report etc review of outdoor car covers-any recommendations about good soft interior car covers that will minimize the effects of the above hazards would be appreciated.
THANKS
Bob Dwyer

David Greenburg

I did a lot of research and spoke to people at various suppliers   looking for the best cover for indoor storage that was also capable of occasional outdoor storage, and wound up going with Stormweave, which just happens to also be a really good outdoor cover as well.  I got mine from Cal. Car Cover, although it is also available from other sources. I've been very happy with it, although I have not had occasion to test its outdoor capabilities yet.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Cadillac Slim

California Car Covers have always worked well for me.  You get what you pay for when it comes to car covers.

Here are a few tips for storing a car outside:
Remove the battery terminals.
If/When it rains add a old school conventional tarp over your car cover as well.  Remove it & the cover after the rains so the car doesn't "Sweat"
Coat the chrome with metal polish & do not remove it.  Let it dry up & turn white.  This will protect your chrome from the elements & will cut & buff easy when your ready to remove it.
Coat the interior leather vaseline.  This will protect it & keep it moist while the car is enduring the elements.  You can rub this out easily when its time to remove.

If all this seems like a pain in the ass look into paid storage.  For +/-$100 bucks a month it may save you in the long run.

Good Luck!
1938 Lasalle - Sold
1940 Lasalle Conv. - Sold
1947 Series 61 Sedanette
1953 Coupe De Ville
1957 Coupe De Ville
1959 Series 62 2 Door
1960 Coupe De Ville
1964 Eldorado
1964 Coupe De Ville - Sold
1966 Coupe De Ville
1968 Conv. - Sold
1984 Eldorado Biarritz Conv. - Sold
2003 Deville - Sold
2004 Seville

Rod Dahlgren #19496

ALL outdoor covers do this:
rub around with any wind-- Gently rubbing the finish on your car-- Until it causes damage-
condensation from BELOW the car comes up under the cover and is trapped--- even for a little while-- and causes damage
must be tied down so they don't blow off-- ties can be pulled up onto body-- causing damage---

ALL indoor or outdoor covers do this:
When I look at cars that have small "goose bumps" in the paint I KNOW they have had car covers on them. EITHER outside or INSIDE a garage that has some moisture in the air-- either a damp floor-- clothes washer/dryer or other damp air source.
If you don't agree-- GO LOOK CLOSE at your car if you store with a cover in this manner---  YES I do cover my cars-- YES--- I have really expensive covers and some really cheap covers. YES, I have been using covers for more than 30 years--- YES I have seen the damage on MY cars and on MANY cars I inspect for people.
Did You Drive Your Cadillac Today?

55 cadi

There is one cover I didn't see anyone mention.

Look up "Car Capsule" and " Carcoon"  it is a "bubble"  lay it down, drive car on it, and seal and blow it up with air......nothing touching car or rubbing, and from talking to a couple people it is strong enough to be in the rain outside without affecting it.

In storage it keeps dust, rodents, bugs out and outside protects from bird droppings, rain "acid", dust, blowing sand, but no was not told of if good for snow.

Google it. there are a couple out there. About $375 to $475 I have seen. One says indoor, but have seen and heard of using outside.

Hope that helps.

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Highwayman68

Quote from: 55 cadi on October 14, 2015, 06:44:17 PM
There is one cover I didn't see anyone mention.

Look up "Car Capsule" and " Carcoon"  it is a "bubble"  lay it down, drive car on it, and seal and blow it up with air......nothing touching car or rubbing, and from talking to a couple people it is strong enough to be in the rain outside without affecting it.

In storage it keeps dust, rodents, bugs out and outside protects from bird droppings, rain "acid", dust, blowing sand, but no was not told of if good for snow.

Google it. there are a couple out there. About $375 to $475 I have seen. One says indoor, but have seen and heard of using outside.

Hope that helps.

Jason

I have two friends that are using these but they are both stored indoors, they are fanatics about dust. If you can get a large enough tarp to place over the bubble and secure it this solution will work well for you.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

55 cadi

I've lived in Southern California most of my life and gotta say that storage facilities there are very expensive and too much for long term storage for a car. About $80-$150 minimum a month and more. You either pay about $1000 for temp storage or $500 for bubble storage at your location and to be used for years, even indoor protection then.......

And the "El Niño" when in California is not that bad, just a little more rain than usual, nothing like a hurricane or tropical storm. Last big El Niño was in 97'/ 98' and that bubble cover would have been fine.

So I would still consider the bubble, even for outdoor use.

I miss that Cali weather!
2005 Cadillac deville

Gene Beaird

Personally, for temp use, I'd spring for the indoor storage.  The cocoons I've seen were in the $400 range, and that wasn't even for one in the size to fit a classic Cadillac.  But that's just me.
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Highwayman68

Good point, verify the size before buying. My friends have Mustangs in theirs.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

55 cadi

The outside version I've seen for $650 to $700 for a size for trailers, so big enough for cadi
2005 Cadillac deville

55 cadi

Steven,

If you look at my quote, it says $150 "minimum" that's if your lucky or have a not so good facility, my storage unit that would fit a Cadillac was $385 a month, I was stating best case scenario, and that may be unattainable.

And about the mud slides, I'm sure you are not aware of the area in question being from Florida, that is closer to central California, and that valley that mud slides happened is a narrow valley with high hills on both sides of a narrow freeway that was hit with wild fires so there has been very little vegetation and whenever heavy rains happen it floods mud, very few people live in that zone or surrounding areas, and i feel bad for the people that do, but in more southern Cali where it is populated and homes and such you don't have those issues to worry about, drainage is pretty good in most areas. Only exception is in the desert areas of California.

As far as the hail, yes golf ball size is large for Cali, not normal to have much and bigger than a dime, but that to is a rare occurrence, usually a pea size, mainly in the high desert you have larger.

So depending on where Bob lives in so. Cal. Non of that would be an issue, only he can determine, But something to consider.

My only other input is on top of buying a bubble that you can use year after year, is to get a canopy cover that is 6 polls and a top and you can get it with tarp sides, that would protect from hail, those are about $120-$150, so that and the bubble together is still cheaper than storage, it's at your home, and can use year after year vs. 7 months use of storage that you don't oversee and that will probably cost $2400.

2005 Cadillac deville

Thanks all for the great thought provoking responses. I was able to find an indoor storage in Santa Ana CA about 8 miles from home where they park  the car for you in a 3 story building - but allow you to put a cover over it- and no problem with frequent in & out, for $130 / month for 6 months.

You can't beat the folks on this forum for great support !
Bob

C.R. Patton II

Hello Bob

$130 indoor storage per month in Southern California is a good price.  Congratulations.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

55 cadi

Bob,

Glad you found a place you like to take it to for storage, and close to home.

I believe I know of the place you went to.

If it's the same A friend was going to use them but didn't like the fact that anyone can just walk up to your car and look at/in it, or lift the cover and look. They did mention about caging in sections so your care is at least caged, wider if they did that.

But he did say it looked good and seemed to have good enough security.
2005 Cadillac deville