News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1965 Comfort Control - Cruise Control questions

Started by Lucas Feininger #15674, October 16, 2015, 10:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas Feininger #15674

I have been enjoying my newly-back-from-an-engine-rebuild 1965 Eldorado for the last few weeks.

However, I have noticed that the blower motor on the Comfort Control runs and air (either cold when its hot outside or warm when the outside air is cold) runs constantly, even when the switch is set to "Off". Is this normal?

Also, when the Cruise Control switch is set to OFF there is a humming noise like an electric motor coming from the engine compartment. When I slide the switch to ON the humming stops. Shouldn't it be the other way around? I checked the electric connections at the cruise control unit in the engine compartment and they seem properly connected.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"

cadillactim

Lucas

Concerning the blower motor: The vacuum master switch turns gives power to the system, and subsequently turns the blower on. When the dash lever is in the OFF position vacuum is stopped to the master switch. If the cable on this lever is out of adjustment it will allow vacuum to get to the master switch and keep the blower on.

Other possibilities that a vacuum line is incorrectly connected in the system allowing vacuum to get to the master switch, or the master switch is stuck closed.

Concerning the cruise: The humming is likely the electric motor on the cruise unit. Could be a short in the cruise unit. The dash switch does not turn the motor on, it supplies power to the cruise unit which turns the motor on and off, forward and reverse.

Tim
Tim Groves

Lucas Feininger #15674

Tim,

Thank you for the advice.

I have been going through the vacuum lines checking to make sure they are properly routed and connected. I do have a copy of your Comfort Control troubleshooting guide and will be using that to get at some of these Comfort Control issues. Thanks for the tip about the control cable from the dash unit.

With regard to the Cruise Control what should I do to investigate the problem? Under normal circumstances at what point would the motor on the head unit start running once the dash switch is tuned to "on"? Oddly enough even with the malfunctioning dash switch/short circuit the cruise control actually works.
Lucas Feininger
1965 Sedan de Ville
1965 Eldorado
2014 SRX
CLC #15674

"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"