News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

2002 Eldorado Northstar Engine shutdown while driving

Started by zak, October 17, 2015, 04:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zak

My 2002 Eldo recently shut down while driving the other day; I was lucky to be able to coast into the shoulder.  It started within a minute or two but quickly shut down again.  I waited a few more minutes then it started and kept running and then I proceeded to drive a very cautious 45 miles to my mechanic without any issue.  The next day my mechanic could not detect any thing wrong as it was running fine.

In the past I experienced the car buck with a momentary engine shut down but it "restarted" and kept going; it seemed a second or less had expired.  This has happened 3 or 4 times during the 6 plus years that I have owned the car.  I'm wondering if there is a relationship between the incidents.

It is an ETC with approximately 133,000 miles; it otherwise drives great and has been properly maintained.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Craig Dziedzic
Member #20632

Smedly

Just a thought, but does caddy have ignition switch problem that other gm cars had? I know my in laws alero was acting like that and it was the switch.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

76eldo

Craig,

There are SO many things it could be...

You may have to wait until it fails completely to diagnose the problem.

It could be a faulty fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, junk in the tank, wiring fault, bad ground somewhere, cracked wire in the harness, just have to wait until it throws a code or dies completely.

I'd suggest getting a AAA plus membership, gives you 100 miles free towing.  When I had my 99 Eldo I found out that you can max out the towing at 5 incidents per year.

Good Luck.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Roger Zimmermann

With my 2000 DTS I had similar incidents: during the drive, the engine would quit for one second or less and then resume as nothing happened. Once the engine stalled; I could restart it immediately. The local GM dealer replaced both crankshaft sensors and the ignition switch, the problem was solved. However there was a trouble code: P0385.
The part numbers from the replaced parts: 12575481, 12575482 and 12450183
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

zak

Roger I think you hit it as my mechanic called this morning saying it is the crank sensor and hopefully in a day or two I'll be on the road again.  Thank you very much for your input as well as the others for their concern.