News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

introduction.

Started by 60dart, October 18, 2015, 07:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60dart

Hi guys and gals, i thought i would introduce myself on here, I have just got myself a 57 2dr (think its a series 62 but complete novice with caddys, have a 60 dart that ive had 9 yaers)  that needs some help, as will i so i thought i would try here :)
I am a guy of 42 with 3 kids and a wife so always looking for an excuse to go outside and play with my cars ( not very mechanical but they dont need to know that) my caddy has been stripped by the owner before the guy i got it from and they both gave up, so now its my turn. The electrics seem to be all over the place and the brake pedal is hard as rock, i have gotten a new master cylynder ( with the car) and the hydrolic brake booster was found in the trunk, i have no idea where these parts are meant to sit, so i thought i would come pick your brains and look for pics.
Live in Denmark so i have the winter to get this car ready for next year.
well, as said, just thought i would say hi. all the best matt

Jason Edge

Hi Matt, Welcome to the Cadillac LaSalle Club hosted discussion forum.   This is a great place for all Cadillac and LaSalle enthusiasts to receive help and share information.  Also, join the CLC (Cadillac LaSalle Club) if not already a member by clicking on http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/joinrenew/.  Note that there are several membership options ranging from a $35 online only option that still gives you online access to the excellent Self Starter magazine, to full print subscription membership options, along with the many other benefits of membership. 
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

savemy67

Hello Matt,

As Jason suggested, joining the CLC is worth the price of admission.  I encourage you to buy a factory service manual, and a Fisher Body manual for your car.  These two manuals will help you sort things out as you resurrect your car.  Your post mentions that the "electrics seem to be all over the place".  Wiring issues can be difficult and or time consuming to resolve.  What is the overall condition of the car?  Can you post some photos?  Welcome aboard.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

60dart

60dart

my wife loves the colour, personally cannot wait to get it painted, but thats an after thing. i will drive it for a year as is, then i think i will paint it the aqua blue, it is overall good condition, but the wiring is a mess and the brakes need sorting. the under side of the car is very clean and the only "real" rust is on the drivers side front fender, easy fix and the rear window, not so easy but i have a very talented friend  :)
chrome is iffy and needs a front bumper, complete bumper including grill. but this 1 will get bashed about until i can afford another.

gary griffin

The electrical is not as bad as it looks if the wiring is in good condition. I am currently wiring a 1942 as the old cloth covered wiring has failed. The trick is to have  a good schematic with the color codes which will explain where each wire terminates. Just concentrate on one wire or set of wires at a time. As you sort them out add your own temporary labels so you don't have to keep on looking at the drawings.  Take time and study the situation and do it right the first time. It helps if you are not color blind!
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

59-in-pieces

Matt,
Great looking car - like the purple/orchid color.
If you need to sort out the wiring harnesses, as Gary says a good wiring diagram is a good thing to have.
I have restored a fair number of Cadillacs of various years - 47, 57, 59 - and styles and I have obtained my wiring diagrams from:     www.classiccarwiring.com
I prefer the larger format of about 18"X24".
The diagrams show each wire in its original color along with its start and stop points.
The diagrams come laminated in plastic which keeps them strong and clean.
Have fun
Steve B.
S. Butcher

60dart

hi guys, thanks for the replys, i really dont think its an original colour and the person who repainted ( assume in sweden as lived there for 10 or so years) didnt put the tags back on  :(
might be in 1 of the numberous boxes i have.
thanks for the link, i will invest as will need all the help i can get
matt