News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Source for beefier sway bar

Started by Joe V, October 18, 2015, 08:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe V

I'd like to replace the sway bar on my 49 with the beefier version, i think the replacement is the size of the bar for the series 75. I saw an older forum post referring to PST as the source but PST's website currently shows no parts for cars older than 55. 

PST has not yet responded to my inquiry,  but has anyone purchased a bar from PST lately for an older car or know of another source?

Bobby B

Joe,
Hi. I'll come to your rescue. Nobody makes this sway bar but Addco. There is a direct replacement crossed over to a '53 Buick, but good luck finding it.  I thought that Scott Anderson and I purchased the last 2 bars in existence, but give it a shot. It's Addco part #2052, and it's a killer 1" diameter sway bay to fit your application, including all the hardware. A really nice package by Addco. Here's the deal with purchasing it. Everybody will take your money because it's listed ( Summit, Jeg's, etc.), but it's out of stock. i found a place that was willing to go the extra mile and stay on top of it until they had a answer from Addco on finding one. They also had the best price we could find. Super people to deal with. Hope this helps!
                                  Bobby
http://www.neverenoughauto.com
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jay Friedman

I suggest you contact Art Gardner at agardner@gardnergroff.com   He got one for me for my '49 a couple of years ago through some contact he had at, I think, ADDCO and/or PST.  He's gotten several from one of these firms for himself and others so I believe he knows all the details. 

BTW: As Joe mentioned it's equivalent to the front stabilizer bar used on '49 Series 75 limos and Series 86 hearses and significantly improves the side "lean" of the car as you go around a corner.  Takes about 15-20 minutes to install if there are 2 guys working and much longer if you are by yourself.  I love the way the car handles now and the change is not very apparent when you look under the car.   
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Bobby B

Quote from: Jay Friedman on October 18, 2015, 05:56:50 PM
I suggest you contact Art Gardner at agardner@gardnergroff.com   He got one for me for my '49 a couple of years ago through some contact he had at, I think, ADDCO and/or PST.  He's gotten several from one of these firms for himself and others so I believe he knows all the details. 

I think my above post covers "the details"…..
                                      Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Joe V

Thanks Guys.  Looks like I better get on the ball and find one - if they still can be found. 

Jay Friedman

Bobby, I didn't mean to imply that your posting didn't cover the details, only that Art knows them too and is an additional source of info.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Joe V

I searched and as you mentioned Bobby, all vendors sell but with future ship dates.  On a whim, I searched Amazon for an ADDCO 2052 and one was available with free prime shipping.  It was sold and shipped by Amazon, listed as a 2052, and clearly designated for 48-52 Cadillacs, so they definitely have something in stock as marked.  We will now see what shows up in two days!

Thanks so much for the details and maybe I will get lucky.  If not, I will reach out to Neverenough, Art G., and any other source I can find.  Thanks Guys.

Chas

Going back to my old stock car racing days, we used to get front bars made up to our spexs when we wanted to try something different than what was available over the counter. Don't know if they're still in business, but you might want to try TLS Steel Products out in Portland Oregon.
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

Bobby B

Quote from: Joe Vastola CLC #29052 on October 19, 2015, 09:20:58 AM
On a whim, I searched Amazon for an ADDCO 2052 and one was available with free prime shipping.  It was sold and shipped by Amazon, listed as a 2052, and clearly designated for 48-52 Cadillacs, so they definitely have something in stock as marked.  We will now see what shows up in two days!

Joe,
Good deal. It's a quick install. Keep us posted……..
                                                     Bobby

1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Caddy Wizard

Lots of resellers, but only one manufacturer and that is ADDCO in North Carolina.  You can buy the product from various places, including PST, Kanter, etc.  About $175 to $225.  Makes a huge difference, without sacrificing ride quality.  Best bang-for-the-buck improvement you can make to an old Cadillac...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Scott Anderson CLC#26068

Bobby's right about the rescue - mine had actually snapped (!) and I'd ordered the #2052 through Jeggs who never did seem to have any idea what to do with the order. Long story short, I bought through the source Bobby suggests they got it shipped right out to me, and did a great job. Addco did tell me that the bars were out of stock (this is probably a year ago) and they had no plans to make any more so I'm glad you found a source.

Meanwhile HarryS sold me a stock replacement which I appreciated as well.

I get that yours is a later application than mine, so primarily for others reading this, I did find that it wasn't quite a direct fit on my 41 6267D, the center frame / radiator mount needed a bit of radiusing to clear the bar. (Bobby this is the reason for my spamming you at the time...'now how does this go in I can't get it to clear'...'geez it only goes one way don't make it harder than it is'...) :)   Also they ship with solid bushings which you can optionally use or order rubber replacements.

It does make a big difference in driving and in my opinion only a technician judging the car for points would notice, IE it really doesn't look out of place / stand out under there in general.

Quote from: Bobby B on October 18, 2015, 10:20:40 AM
Joe,
Hi. I'll come to your rescue. Nobody makes this sway bay but Addco. There is a direct replacement crossed over to a '53 Buick, but good luck finding it.  I thought that Scott Anderson and I purchased the last 2 bars in existence, but give it a shot. It's Addco part #2052, and it's a killer 1" diameter sway bay to fit your application, including all the hardware. A really nice package by Addco. Here's the deal with purchasing it. Everybody will take your money because it's listed ( Summit, Jeg's, etc.), but it's out of stock. i found a place that was willing to go the extra mile and stay on top of it until they had a answer from Addco on finding one. They also had the best price we could find. Super people to deal with. Hope this helps!
                                  Bobby
http://www.neverenoughauto.com
1941 Cadillac 6267X Convertible Coupe
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Jeff Wilk

Does anybody know if anyone makes a beefier sway bar for the 1975 Eldorado?
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Joe,

Called PST on the phone about my 56 Cad, they had one in stock. Ordered and was delivered yesterday.

I ordered and installed the bars for my 49 and 53 (lots of problems on that one was not engineered correctly) and am happy with the results.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Joe V

Sorry Bobby and Scott, but it looks like I got the last Addco 2052 sway bar in existence.8)  It is twice the thickness of the original and I look forward to getting it installed.  Even visually it looks so much heavier.  You know your cooked over this stuff when the arrival of a bent black steel bar makes you happy.  If life was only that simple!

Thanks to all for the info and help, threads to follow, and plan B ideas.  This thread is just one example of the value of the Cadillac Club and it's knowledgeable members.   

Bobby B

Joe,
  Every time I come home to find a box at my door, it's like Christmas….I know the feeling! ;D
                                                                                                                     Bobby
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Gene Beaird

Looks like Joe got what he needs, but I'll add that Quickor Garage also lists front sway bars for that era of car:

http://www.quickorgarage.com/CartPages/cadillac.htm

That's where I got my front and rear swaybars for our Seville.  The rear one fit a little different than their original iteration (I know because I have the Car and Driver article where they modded the suspension on a Seville to make it handle better), but it really flattened the cornering for that car.  IIRC, when I called, he didn't have a front one in stock, but got one bent and shipped in a week.  The current owner is the original owner of the company.  He sold it a while back, then purchased the company back as a 'semi-retirement' hobby.  It was fun talking to the owner. 

Anyway, enough babbling, I just wanted to put out there that there was another source. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873