News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rebuilding Sombrero Hub Caps

Started by Joe V, October 19, 2015, 06:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe V

I have two sombreros in really good shape but with bad rear hubs that snap into the spring steel fasteners on the rim.  A situation that results in flying hubcaps once up to speed.  I also have two sombreros in bad shape with great rear hubs. 

Looks to me like the two sections of the cap are pinch welded together.  Anyone ever try and have success rebuilding by separating the two sections and then reattaching and actually ending up with a usable hubcap? 

I hate to get rid of original equipment that may be salvageable with a reasonable amount of bench work time.

Bill Ingler #7799

Joe: You might be aware that the sombrero cap which first came out in 47 and the wheel was designed for the 700-15 tire. Then in 48 the width of the wheel was increased to take the new 820:15 tire. The sombrero cap retainer ring was increase in depth about 1/4 inch so as to securely fit down into the snap clips on the new wheel. Now I have seen several caps come flying of wheels when up to speed when the sombrero is on the wrong wheel. When you have a 47 cap on a 48-52 wheel the 47 cap retainer ring does not go down far enough to be secured by the clips. Now a 48-52 cap will fit a 41-47 wheel and not come off but the cap will rest about 1/4 inch above the wheel rim. A quick way to tell the difference between a 47 sombrero cap and a 48-52 sombrero cap is the 47 sombrero retainer ring will only have one drain hole while the 48-52 sombrero has two drain holes which are some times right together or 180 degrees apart. I know this does not answer you original question on the spot weld but it might answer why your caps come off once up to speed.   Bill

Joe V

Bill: Turns out that is exactly the problem.  I thought the cap should have been able to stay on because I could position the damaged part of the retainer ring in between the clips.  But it is a one hole cap and as I now know will not work.  I would have never thought to research sombrero cap size issues.

Much bench work saved working on the wrong year part.  Thanks so much.

Joe V

Checked all my caps and I have another one - correct year with two holes  ;), that has a bad retaining ring.  So if anyone has attempted repair please let me know.

Bill Ingler #7799

Joe : If your 47 caps are in fairly good condition they are very resalable as they are a 1 year only cap. Depending on condition could bring $75-100. Here is a list of sombrero caps now on ebay.  Bill

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l2632.R2.TR3.TRC2.A0.H1.Xsombrero++hubcaps.TRS0&_nkw=sombrero+hubcaps&_sacat=6028

Joe V

Thanks Bill.  I dug it out to check the drain holes and it looks a quite bit bumped up from it's last flight.  I have not had them on the car for quite some time so it does look a bit worse than I remember.  It definitely seems heavier than the 49 caps which also probably contributes to a short flight and hard landing.  Not sure if a good metal man could do any magic with it or if it is worth listing given condition.