News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Mirrors of the 40's

Started by gary griffin, October 20, 2015, 07:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

It has been brought up on other posts that no mirrors were standard other than the interior center mirror.  It is ridiculous to drive in today's traffic without suitable door mirrors. I know the judges allow for seat belts and dual master cylinders but what is the official status of exterior mirrors? 

In my opinion bigger is better! I am considering the King Bee 4 inch. Are there any mirrors with interchangeable heads. Bigger mirrors with convex glass for the right hand side. and little heads for shows?

Any reasonable suggestions will be appreciated.

Update on my 1942-6719 restoration, Glass will be finished today, wiring hopefully next week and a trip to the upholstery shop in a couple of weeks.  Pictures forthcoming in the restoration forum.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Barry M Wheeler #2189

The King Bee is what most people use. However, I see no way you can put a bigger mirror on the stem for highway use, and then the original one back on for show.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jay Friedman

Don't know about '42, but outside mirrors, either one or two, were optional factory or dealer equipment in 1949.  You can check in '42 sales literature to see if it was the same for that model year.  The '49 outside mirrors were made by King Bee for Cadillac.  As such, only these are considered authentic for show judging. 

(The '48-'49 mirrors are good looking, but for some reason the right side mirror is very hard to line up in such a way that you can actually see back through it.  For that reason I installed 50-53 right and left mirrors on my '49.)
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Jay Friedman

Just looked in my 1935-55 Master Parts List and the same King Bee mirrors were made for Cadillac from 1937 to 1949.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Chasmann

Hello Jay.Were they also made by King Bee.Charlie
1949 SERIES62 4DR SEDAN                                      1936 SERIES 60 4DR TOURING SEDAN

Jay Friedman

The MPL doesn't say, but it stands to reason that they were all made by King Bee.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984