News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

71 TH425: Found in pan...

Started by wbdeford, October 20, 2015, 06:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbdeford

I removed my transmission pan and found these in it...what are they?
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

The Tassie Devil(le)

They look like links from the Morse Drive Chain that transmits power from the Torque Converter to the Transmission.

I was once told that these chains were indestructible, but maybe this is not true.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

Here is a picture of said chain.

Looks like the engine/Transmission will be coming out sooner that later.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

bcroe

Those are from the chain all right.  Usually when I see something like that, the cover has
been dented against the chain.  Bruce Roe

wbdeford

Not what I wanted to hear....but it is what it is...

Does this mean failure is imminent?  Will failure just mean the car won't go anywhere, or will it mean further destruction?
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

bcroe

Quote from: wbdeford
Does this mean failure is imminent?  Will failure just mean the car won't go anywhere,
or will it mean further destruction? 

I would call it "ominous".  Hard to say how long that chain might last, but that means the end has
come off a couple pins, and the pins may start working their way out.  Hard to imagine what a
failure might do, with a 500 turning things.  Bruce Roe

wbdeford

My problem right now is lack of space to pull the engine out.  Is there a way I can lift it just enough to move it forward enough to replace the chain?
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

bcroe

Quote from: wbdefordMy problem right now is lack of space to pull the engine out.  Is there a
way I can lift it just enough to move it forward enough to replace the chain?   

The only way to replace that chain is to pull the 2 sprockets, and to do that you will need
the trans out.  Instructions are in the factory manual.  Its possible to drop the trans from
the bottom (engine must be supported & rocked forward).  Most of us just pull the engine
& trans, which of course means you first need to get rid of that huge hood.  Bruce Roe

wbdeford

Even though I am short on space, I am long on time, so if it takes me extra time do things, I am OK with that.  I have no place to put the hood (even hanging it from the ceiling won't work).  I also tend to think outside the box (though 90% of the time, I return to the box).  I read the shop manual procedure for removing the transmission while still in the car and don't like that prospect at all.   So....

Compressor is off the car, so I can easily just remove the condenser too, along with the radiator..  If I remove the cross bar and grille, will I have enough clearance to lift the power train up enough to move it forward, then up and over the bumper to get it out with the hood still on?  If not, what if the bumper is off the car, too?  I could live with the power train being outside under tarps for a while.  This would also make it easier for me to work on the suspension.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

savemy67

Hello William,

Even though you do not have enough room to store the hood, would it take about the same amount of time to remove the hood, lift the engine and transmission out of the engine bay - without removing radiator, condenser, grille, bumper, etc, and then put the hood back on the car while you work on the chain and sprockets, and the front suspension?

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

wbdeford

Guessing 2 hood removals and 2 hood installations would still take a bit less time than removing and reinstalling those other things once.  But I might remove the grille anyway as it has some damage to the mount points.  Radiator is coming out anyway.  Right now, just trying to figure out all my options.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

bcroe

My first priority would be finding replacement parts.  Those chains, with a low failure rate, are
not so easy to find.  I read the factory actually graded the sprockets & chains into matched
sets for a tighter fit; hope that isn't necessary.  Another way is get a donor chain & sprocket
set from a lower mileage trans. 

My Eldo has a reversed version of a GMC POWER DRIVE which has a 57:65 ratio to turn the
motor slower and save me some gas, at some loss of performance.  These are all new parts. 
good luck, Bruce Roe

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thinking outside the box, why don't you simply remove the hood, and place it on top of the back of the car, with the roof down that is, and place a lot of blankets on top of the interior and trunk so that there cannot be any damage done by the hood resting on the blankets.   It will take two people to position it, but it will be out of the way.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

savemy67

Hello William,

If I recall correctly, some of the early to mid '70s GMC motorhomes used the TH425, so if you are looking for a donor transmission, and a Cadillac or Toronado is not available, you might try looking for a motorhome graveyard.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

bcroe

Quote from: savemy67
If I recall correctly, some of the early to mid '70s GMC motorhomes used the TH425, so if you are looking for a donor transmission, and a Cadillac or Toronado is not available, you might try looking for a motorhome graveyard.      Christopher Winter   

The GMC 73-78 used the Toronado drive train.  There is a lot of support for them, including
rebuilt transmissions.  I think complete TH425s are not especially hard to find.  Bruce Roe