News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 Cadillac SDV headliner material

Started by Scot Minesinger, October 21, 2015, 09:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

My low mileage 1970 Cadillac SDV has a hole about 2" in diameter in the headliner and it is going to get fixed.  The paint, vinyl top, and interior are all original and I am planning on earning a presidential preservation award at a GN by 2017 at the latest. 

It is a cloth interior car, and after earning the PP award, I will get the interior upholstery replaced along with carpet (no rips but otherwise not in great shape).  When it is replaced, will change the car over to leather.  I have the wood inserts for door and passenger dash to make this conversion.

The headliner is cloth matching the seats.  Is the leather interior version of the headliner a vinyl material or is it cloth?  I will replace it this winter with what it should have if it were a leather car.

BTW when reupholstering in leather originality aside I would re-do it in the dark blue leather (matches top and dash) and in the 69 Fleetwood pattern (my favorite).  It should be light blue leather to match rest of interior and of course in the 1970 SDV pattern.  Will I kill the value of the car with a dark blue leather in the 69 Fleetwood pattern?  Only Cadillac enthusiasts knowledgeable in this era would really know of my violation.  I plan to drive and enjoy the car for years to come (say 2k a year and now it has 32k miles on it), however selling it later is not off the table.  A SDV is not too valuable either - thoughts?

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

My 70 Coupe had leather interior and a vinyl head liner.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Greg,

Thanks, thinking there is no way it would be leather or cloth

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Yes, vinyl.
As fae as the seats, do what you want---- it's your car. When it comes time to sell, it won' t matter. Either 1 of 2 things will probably happen at that time........ Someone will offer you so much that you just can't say no, or, your kids will sell it. Either way, it won't matter ( as long as wife likes it of course).
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Scot Minesinger

Greg, Jeff, thanks have the answer I needed for the headliner.

On the seats I'm on the fence.  Not sure if this is a car I want to keep forever, but after driving it yesterday maybe so.  If I was never going to sell it, Jeff is right - do what I want.  Don't want to kill the value if upgrading leather seats to 69 Fleetwood would substantially reduce value over correct SDV pattern leather seats.  Anyway, I have some time on this.  To a purist who has to have a nice 1970 Cadillac sedan this might be a negative (might not be too many of those as a sedan is least desirable 1970 Cadillac).  To someone in AACA a judge is unlikely to ever discover that issue.   

Dan LeBlanc

Why not pull a set of junkyard 1970 seats, have those redone in the pattern so desired, and wrap and store the originals?  That way, you don't have to choose between the lesser of two evils.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Scot Minesinger