News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 - 1968 Eldorado switch front end to later design

Started by narnone, October 22, 2015, 10:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

narnone

I am looking at a 1967 Eldorado that has the Disk Brake Option. In doing some research, I noticed some parts are 1967-68 only, like the calipers. The 1969 Eldorado uses the same parts right through 1978.
Can the front parts be switched to a new design so it can utilize parts from the later Eldorado's? I believe going forward, getting parts would be easier.
Does anyone know which parts are actually different?
Nick Arnone
Shavertown, PA 18651
570-760-7956
Email: narnone@hlsm.com
1959 21' Century Coronado
1956 26' Chris Craft Continental
1967 Cadillac Eldorado - Normandy Blue
1977 Cadillac Seville San Remo - White
1973 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible Pace Car (Mark Donahue's VIP car)
1978 Lincoln Town Coupe Convertible (Custom) - Blue

Rob Troxel

You are absolutely right.  The latest caretaker of my former 1968 Eldorado did just that, swapping out the nearly impossible to find parts with a 69 Eldorado donor car.  There is better expertise on what is required than I can say, but the steering knuckles, calipers, rotors along with some wheel bearings (I think). There is an updated master cylinder too but not sure if that is required here.  Your Eldo has a larger piston in the M/C that what is in the standard 68 Caddy. Keep us posted!

narnone

That would work fine. I am still working out the sale with the owner. I have a completely restored frame for a 1973 Eldorado. Everything is new. Not using it since the Eldorado is now rear wheel drive.
It appears the steering knuckle along with the Hub Assy would have to be changed to use the later rotors and calipers. I may all of parts to pull this off.
Nick Arnone
Shavertown, PA 18651
570-760-7956

Rob Troxel

Looks like you are in a good position to do this.  If you do, could you snap pictures for the rest of us?

All the best

bcroe

Quote from: narnone on October 22, 2015, 01:03:09 PM
That would work fine. I am still working out the sale with the owner. I have a completely restored frame for a 1973 Eldorado. Everything is new. Not using it since the Eldorado is now rear wheel drive.
It appears the steering knuckle along with the Hub Assy would have to be changed to use the later rotors and calipers. I may all of parts to pull this off.   

Instead of doing it piece by piece, I'd just take the 4 bolts out of the frame of a 70-78 Eldo/Toro
and drop the whole suspension.  Also shocks, steering, sway bar, master cylinder.  I think the
complete A arm assembly will just bolt in, check if the 2 cars both have the same rear (drum or
disc) brakes. 

If you go to RWD, you'll still need the outer part of the half shaft (with the big nut) bolted
through the wheel bearing, or it will probably come apart and send the wheel down the road. 
Bruce Roe

narnone

Bruce,
I looked up the parts, It appears the A-Arms are different, as far as a part number, between 1970 and above. If someone knows that they would work, I would do exactly what you recommend. That would be great!!

As for the rear wheel drive, I took a 1976 Fleetwood frame and shorted it about 6 5/8". We opened the rear where the rail was welded in, cut the rail and slid it back in and welded it. The frame fits like a glove. 10 Body mounts lined right up.
Here is a link to the conversion: http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=129634.0

We then modified the the front and the rear of the frame to accept the Eldorado's bumpers.
The project is on hold as we are finishing my 1959 Century Coronado.
We should be getting back on in about month as is it become number one on the list.

Nick Arnone
Shavertown, PA 18651
570-760-7956

bcroe

Quote from: narnoneBruce,
I looked up the parts, It appears the A-Arms are different, as far as a part number, between 1970 and above. If someone knows that they would work, I would do exactly what you recommend. That would be great!!

I pulled the complete front suspension, probably with PS pump & sway bar off some junker 70s
Eldo/Toros.  I gave them to 66 Toro owners who wanted to upgrade to front discs.  Nobody ever
told me they didn't fit.  I think the A frames ought to line up with the frame mounting holes; if
so the rest of the assembly should fit too.  Bruce

narnone

Thanks for the input. I will be doing just that if I get this or one like it. I like the 1967 and 1968 Eldorados.
Nick Arnone
Shavertown, PA 18651
570-760-7956

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I was under the impression that you had to use 69/70 Eldo only parts. Yes I know the rotors fit many years.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

narnone

If I purchase this 1967 Eldorado, I will find out. I have a Cadillac Milan he may want in a trade. If he does not trade it, I will just sell it.
Nick Arnone
Shavertown, PA 18651
570-760-7956