News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Mirrors Inside Car Hauler

Started by Scott Halver, October 23, 2015, 07:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Halver

Hello, I just bought a new car hauler trailer but am having trouble seeing the sides of the car as I drive into the trailer ?    put some kind of mirrors inside the trailer on each side down low ?     (walls are wood on inside, metal on outside)     Any thoughts would be appreciated ?       SHalver $24920
1960 Eldorado Seville, Grandfather Bought New
1970 Corvette Convertible 350/350

Dan LeBlanc

What about a couple convex mirrors mounted in the top corners of the front walls that you could see as you drive in?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

chrisntam

Quote from: Scott Halver on October 23, 2015, 07:58:41 PM
Hello, I just bought a new car hauler trailer ...snip........SHalver $24920

At first, I thought that you paid $24920 for the trailer...........

But I see that is your member number...........

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scott Halver

Dan,  Thank you for the idea, convex mirrors.........   not sure what that is but I will ask at one of our truck/bus/RV stores.   One truck/bus/RV outlet said they had 6-8 inch curved mirrors used below the bus mirrors, I think to see if someone is up along side of the bus.   I'm not sure I will be able to see the 6-8 inch mirror when I'm outside the trailer.      Thanks, SHalver #24920

55 cadi

Convex mirror is the same as the bus mirrors(rounded)

Google convex mirror and you will see the listings in which he is talking about and what you need, a large rounded mirror, they are between $60-$150 each, but worth the money for what you need.

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Dan LeBlanc

I was thinking along the lines of this:

http://www.crlaurence.ca/crlapps/showline/offerpage.aspx?Productid=3125&GroupID=11777&History=39327:54973:9479:11768&ModelID=11777

Most any commercial glass outfit deals with CR Laurence and can get this for you.  My local warehouse shows 2 in stock. 
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Gene Beaird

I've seen some just mount aftermarket truck mirrors (using the mounting brackets) to each corner of the trailer.  They use the ones you get when you need wider mirrors on your car or truck to tow a camper trailer.  Much like this below:

http://www.camperpartsworld.com/Repl-Mirror-Head-Fender-Camper-Mount.html

Luckily, my co-driver is usually available to help make sure the car goes on straight.  She came in quite handy when we loaded the Calais on our little open trailer.  The load needed to be just about perfect that time.   ;D
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

TJ Hopland

With how cheap little cameras are now days is there maybe an option there?   Maybe with some sort of magnetic base you stick on the car and then long cords or maybe wireless the a display with you in the car?

How about something old school like tennis balls on strings?   Hang em so that if you touch em you are getting close to the wall. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scott Halver

Hello Everyone,  I just bought 2 "trucker mirrors" about 16 inches tall and 5-6 inches wide........   just have to figure out how to mount the mirrors-  brackets and location.   I did not buy their brackets because they are so huge I wouldn't be able to get the car in the trailer (wouldn't clear the mirrors).   I'm thinking of locating the mirrors just past/in-front of the wheel wells that I'm trying to clear inside the trailer.   I don't know how I am going to make the brackets (mirrors have stud/nut on top and bottom).    Any ideas ?     SHalver #24920

55 cadi

Glad you found something that will work for you.

Ideas,
Home Depot and lowes and ace have L brackets all different sizes even large, that have holes in them.  Fasten to side to wall and the other part of L sticks out, and screw the mirror to that on top and bottom. If it doesn't go out far enough they have metal bar that have holes in it that can extend out and mount the mirror to that. You would need 4, on for top, one for bottom, both sides.

Other is get the same metal bar with holes in it in the long lengths like 2ft, then bend it and do the same as previous, screw one length to wall and the other bent length sticks out and mount to that.

Both can be made at length you need to not be in the way.

And they can be made so you can move them up against the wall when not in use by loosening bolt or with a wing nut.

Here is the listing for one at Home Depot:

Crown Bolt Model # 18040 Internet # 100337901 Store SKU # 548932 1-3/8 in. x 36 in. Zinc Steel Punched Flat Bar with 1/16 in. Thick

And they have different sizes

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

Scott Halver

Hello Jason,
I'm going to Home Depot and will buy the brackets you suggested ..........   sounds good.   THANK YOU !!!    SHalver #24920