News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Winter storage

Started by tturley, October 26, 2015, 11:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tturley

What preparations do you do before putting your car up for the winter in a climate controlled storage area besides battery mender and car cover?
Should you have fuel tank full or as low as possible?
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

D.Yaros

I store mine with a full tank of gas that has had StaBil added.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Jon S

Quote from: D.Yaros on October 26, 2015, 12:13:34 PM
I store mine with a full tank of gas that has had StaBil added.

That's all you need - anything else is over-kill and not required.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

tturley

Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Speaking of "overkill," you might wish to put out some mouse poison. One year I found a nest in the air cleaner of the '79. Of course if your garage is connected to your home, you need to be careful about this. Mine is "out back" and unheated.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

tturley

Actually the car is going into a one year old commercial building, but I do plan on putting several electronic rodent repellers around
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

James Landi

I found that a box of dryer sheets keeps out the cridders.  Make sure to stuff some in the intake and exhaust, as well as a bunch in the car, trunk, and on top of the wheels.... the expensive pungent dryer sheets work.... not sure about those "electronic devices."

Jon S

Pungent?  I use them in my dryer. I understand your point. Good one!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

TJ Hopland

I too go with full or almost full tank of fuel.    If you can get non ethanol that seems better.  If not then some additive.  Idea behind full tank is to reduce condensation.   A full tank leaves less room for the condensation.  Any other fluid that is due or almost due gets changed too then ideally a nice long drive to get things fully warmed up before its parked.   

There is some stuff I just saw called 'Fresh cab' that is supposed to work reasonably well.  I assume its the same theory as the dryer sheets and mothballs.   I think the idea behind them is the strong smell masks the smell of predators that may be in the area so they don't like to stay long.  Only seems to work on mice that are concerned about predators.  Its apparently possible to have colony of mice that don't have any experience with predators so they fear nothing.   

Other things I have recently learned is stay away from products like the d-con pellets and pellets in general.   The decon stuff apparently makes em bleed which can add extra mess.   Problem with pellets is they tend to horde them rather than eat em right away so you will find it stuffed in all sorts of places and then maybe some dead ones in the stash.   Other problem is its easier for other animals to get into it once the mice move it around.   The best stuff is what comes in the blocks because they cant take it with em.  Tomcat is a popular brand.  The blocks are basically wax with small amounts if the active ingredient embedded in it.    You can get em loose or in 'stations'.    The stations are just boxes to prevent larger creatures (pets, children) from having direct access.   The pest people told me that a small animal like a cat won't be harmed by eating a mouse that has died from the stuff but or vet told me it could so I assume there are some variables in there but its best to avoid the possibility if possible. 

Anyone had any success with any of the electronic products?   I have not had any success.   House I just moved into had one in the garage and the box on the shelf right next to the unit was a giant nest.   THe box has some books and loose paper in it so it should not have been especially attractive.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

carguyblack

What about anything for the chrome? I heard someone on this forum talk about a product called "Ice"?
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Blade

I also always wax a car/motorcycle before putting into longer term storage, helps protecting and keeping the paint in good condition. Probably also a good idea to put some stands under the car in case one of the tires decides to deflate (happened before) the stand keeps the car up and protects the tire from further damage.

I do full gas tanks for winters, had success with fuel stabilizer in cars even for several years of storage - but failed both for me and my friend in motorcycles.

TJ:

I also had limited success with the electronic devices, I do use them but combine them with chemical protection sprayed around the buildings.

Cheers!